BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University softball team split its two games at the Strike Out Cancer Tournament on Friday night. The Owls lost to Texas State 9-4, but rebounded to defeat Columbia 8-6.
Game 1 vs. Texas State
Lochten scored the first two runs for the Owls with solo homeruns in the first and third innings. A single, a FAU fielding error and a homer to left field in the top of the fourth gave Texas State a 3-2 lead. The Bobcats broke the game open in the top of the fifth with six runs after a controversial call on a force play at second base extended the inning. Tatum Buckley scored in the fifth on an Alex Miller single and Bobcat error. FAU added another run in the seventh on a RBI single by Mia Olson, but didn't get any closer.
- Emily Lochten went 2-for-3 with two solo home runs.
- Madisyn Palmer singled and snagged three stolen bases, putting her at 15 for the season
- Alex Miller had a pair of base hits in the game.
Game 2 vs. UMass-Lowell
The Owls got on the board early, scoring four runs in the top of the first inning. Lochten drew a lead off walk, stole second, then came around to score on Madisyn Palmer's double down the left field line. Palmer scored on a successful squeeze play later in the inning. Lauren Whitt drove in Kaitlyn Burke with a base hit to center, and an error on the center fielder allowed Alex Miller to score on the play. Three hits and another Lion error allowed the Owls to score three more runs in the second inning. Columbia answered with two runs each in both the second and third inning to pull within 7-4. The wouldn't change again until the top of the seventh, when Alex Miller scored for the second time in the contest. Columbia scored twice in the bottom of the frame and had the tying run at the plate when a strikeout ended the threat.
- Madisyn Palmer singled, doubled, scored twice and had two RBI.
- Emily Lochten walked three times, doubled, drove in a run and scored twice.
- Alex Miller doubled, and scored twice.
- Lauren Whitt had a pair of hits and drove in a run.
- Mia Olson pitched five innings to pick up her third win of the season.
The Owls continue the Strike Out Cancer Tournament on Saturday as they face Dartmouth at 6 p.m. and UIC at 8:15 p.m. Live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. In-game updates will also be available through the team's Twitter account, @fauowlssoftball.