BOCA RATON, Fla. - (Feb. 20, 2016) – The Florida Atlantic University softball team got out to an 9-0 start for the first time in school history with a 6-2 win over NIU in its first game on Saturday and an 8-0 run-rule victory over Florida A&M in game two.
Game 1 vs. NIU Notables
- Tatum Buckley threw a complete game four-hitter for her second win of the season.
- Emily Lochten hit her second homerun of the season, this one a grand slam, in the third inning.
- Delaney Rickey went 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored.
After a two run homerun put the Huskies up 2-1 in the bottom of the second inning, Lochten capitalized on a NIU error in the top of the third by hitting a grand slam to put the Owls up 5-2. A Rickey RBI single in the fourth that scored Kiley Southall accounted for the final margin.
Game 2 Notables
- Mia Olson dealt a two-hit, eight-strikeout shutout for her first win of the year.
- Caitlin Hogue went 1-for-2 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Madisyn Palmer went 2-for-2 with two runs scored..
FAU posted five runs in the second inning on four hits, sparked by Lochten’s double. Hogue laced a two-RBI single to keep the rally going. With FAU up 7-0, Madisyn Palmer led off the sixth with a single and stole two bases before scoring the walk-off run.
The Owls will open the FAU Invitational with a doubleheader against Stony Brook and Michigan State on Feb. 26. Live stats will be available at fausports.com. In-game updates will be available at twitter.com/fauowlssoftball. For tickets, call the FAU Ticket Office at 1-866-FAU-OWLS.