BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University softball team used an outstanding pitching performance by Tatum Buckley and a timely hit by Mia Olson to defeat Bethune-Cookman 3-1 on Sunday in the final game of the FAU First Pitch Classic. The Owls finish the season’s opening weekend with a 4-2 record.
FAU struck quickly, with Madisyn Palmer and Emily Lochten reaching to lead off the bottom of the first. After both runners moved up on a Buckley groundout, Olson roped a single back up the middle to put the Owls up 2-0. That was all the offense Buckley needed as she held the Wildcats (2-3) hitless through 5.2 innings and only allowed three baserunners, none of which passed first base. Alex Acevedo provided an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth, when her sacrifice fly allowed Sami Williams to score.
- Olson’s two RBI were her first of the season.
- The shutout was the second of the weekend for Buckley and the fifth of her career.
- Jolie Duffner and Alex Miller both had two hits on the day.
- Palmer and Lochten each had base hits.
- Acevedo’s sacrifice fly was her first RBI in an FAU uniform.
The Owls travel to Clearwater for next weekend’s Michelle Smith Pediatric Cancer Invitational. Action for FAU starts at 11 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 16 vs. Oakland.