BOCA RATON, Fla. - Florida Atlantic University’s softball team opened the 2017 season by hosting a double-header versus the University of North Florida. FAU captured the first game 1-0 and fell in the night cap 13-4.
The two teams will be back in action on Friday in the Owls’ first tournament of the year, the Kick-off Classic, featuring: FAU, UNF, Bethune-Cookman, Boston University, Michigan State, NC State, and Troy.
Head Coach Joan Joyce
“Kylee (Hanson) pitched very well in the first game,” said Softball Head Coach Joan Joyce. “The slappers did well in the first game and put a lot of pressure on them (UNF). We had a lot of opportunities to score some runs, in the first game. We just didn’t get it done. In the second game, again, we had people on base, but we just couldn’t seem to come up with the hit and it always seemed to be the younger kids that were up in those situations. Younger kids are a good bit of our team.”
Game 1 Highlights
- Madisyn Palmer and Samantha Lageyre were each 2-for-3
- Freshman Sami Williams was 2-for-2
- Amanda Peck and Alexa Miller added a hit each
- Kylee Hanson held UNF scoreless and allowed just two hits in the contest. The senior hurler recorded 10 strikeouts. She did not surrender a walk
- Lageyre led off the bottom of the fourth with a bunt single. She moved to third on an Alex Miller single to right. The duo executed a double steal for the score
Game 2 Highlights
- Leadoff hitter Delaney Rickey was 3-for-3 with a walk
- Hits were added by Lageyre, Fayth Davis and Williams
- Amanda Wilson took the loss for the Owls. Wilson struck three before Mia Olson took over and tallied two strikeouts
- FAU gave up runs in every frame and committed a total of five errors. FAU pulled within one run at 4-3 after two-complete innings, but the Osprey tallied four in the third, matched it in the fourth and held FAU scoreless in the third and fourth. FAU scored one in the fifth but fell 13-4 by run rule.
The Owls host the Kickoff Classic starting Friday at 9 a.m. For tickets call 1-866-FAU-Owls. You can also follow the team via fausports.com for an audio options or live scoring.