CEDAR CITY, Utah - The Florida Atlantic University women's soccer squad completed their impromptu 11-day, four-state road trip by making it a winning one, defeating Southern Utah 3-2 on Sunday afternoon on Miracle Porter's second goal of the day, with just 14 seconds left, to give the Owls a 2-1-1 record on the long trek.
FAU (5-4-1) fell behind to the Thunderbirds (1-7) early on, but equalized and then took the lead in a less-than-2:00 span late in the half. Ebba Blomqvist converted a penalty kick in the 39th minute, and 1:47 later, Porter ran right past two defenders and beat the SUU goalkeeper left for a 2-1 advantage. It stayed that way until the Thunderbirds knotted it up in the 60th minute on a seeing-eye shot.
The match stayed at 2-2 for nearly the entirety of the rest of the match, and it looked as if there would be extra time in Cedar City. But Porter found wiggle room in the box and deposited her second goal into the net with 14 seconds remaining for the victory.
- Blomqvist now has a team-high four goals this season, including two on PK's, while Porter notched her second and third, both of the year and her career
- Pernille Velta was credited with the assist on the game-winning goal
- Jennifer Ocampo saved five SUU shots to pick up the win
- Blomqvist and Alex Maxson played all 90 minutes on the back line in front of Ocampo, while fellow defender Ashlyn Kitterman was on the field for 81 minutes
- Jessica Monteiro played 85 in the midfield
The Owls return home for the first time since Aug. 27 to continue Conference USA play in taking on Old Dominion this Friday, Sept. 22. First kick will be at 7 p.m. from FAU Soccer Stadium.