May 19, 2014
BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Florida Atlantic University men’s tennis team has three new recruits that will join the team next season. Kian McLean of Chevy Chase, Maryland, Anthony Schohn of France, and Ignacio Jimenez Ruiz of Spain will be coming to Boca Raton to compete for the Owls. FAU men’s tennis head coach Ricardo Gonzalez’s first recruiting class now includes five players. Zandrix Acob and Alexander Gitin, both of Boca Raton, previously agreed to play for Florida Atlantic next season. Gonzalez is excited to bring in three players that can compete next season.
“Anthony Schohn was my first commit this spring. Anthony has a lot of potential to his game and I believe that if we work on the right things, he will be a very tough college player” says Gonzalez.
“Ignacio, my second commit this spring, is from Spain so I was able to get a better feel of the kind of person he is since during his official visit. Ignacio will bring a lot of intensity and hard work to this team.”
“Kian McLean is an extremely talented player who will bring a lot of experience to this team from traveling around the world to play international tennis tournaments. He is a great kid and we are fortunate to have him on board with us.”
McLean, a four star recruit started playing tennis at the age of 9. After training at the Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, Maryland, McLean moved to the Pilic Tennis Academy in Munich, Germany. Mclean is fluent in German and has played both USTA and ITA tournaments in juniors. McLean’s international experience is what he says gives him an advantage.
“The opportunity to live overseas, play international tournaments against competitively ranked players, and be independent gave me unique experiences that allowed me to grow as both a tennis player and a person” says McLean.
McLean was ranked as high as #2 in the State of Maryland and #5 in the Mid-Atlantic region, his tournament wins include:
- USTA Level 3 National / America Cup (2012): Winner Doubles
- USTA Level 4 Mid-Atlantic Section Boys 18s (2013): Finalist Singles
- ITF G5 Bahamas (2013): Winner Doubles
- ITF Tournaments (2013): Quarterfinals Singles – Barbados, Bahamas and Dominican Republic
- ITF Tournaments (2013): Quarterfinals Doubles – Trinidad and Barbados
- ITF Tournaments (2013): Semi-finalist Singles – Puerto Rico
- ITF Tournaments (2014): Delray / Round of 16 – Singles and Quarterfinals in Doubles
Anthony Schohn joins the Owls from France and brings a lot of international experience. Schohn was ranked as high as #112 by the Tennis Recruiting Network has played tournaments in several countries including France, Brazil, and the United States.
“I believe I got a good experience playing in different countries with against good players. I had very close matches with seeded players during ITF tournaments and in 2011, I had good wins against college players” says Schohn.
Schohn’s notable wins include:
- Oct. 2011, Men’s Open, Pembroke Lake Rd.1: defeated Dominic Bisceglia from Barry University, 6/3 - 6/1.
- 10/11, Men’s Open, Pembroke Lake Rd.1: defeated Brian Dushock (Seed #3) from Samford University, 7/5 - 4/6 - 2/2 (retired).
- Helped Team achieve #4 ranking in a National tournament in South Carolina by going undefeated in three singles matches, two doubles matched and two mixed matches.
- Beat #98 ranked Ryan Newman 7/6(5) - 4/6 (Committed to North Carolina State University)
- Beat #63 ranked and five star recruit Christian Haushammer 6/4 - 6/1 (Committed to University of Miami)
Ignacio Jimenez Ruiz comes to Boca Raton from Spain. Ruiz won 75 tournaments, competed in over 250 tournaments, reaching the finals in over 100 times. Ruiz has participated in Spanish National U12 Championship (2009), U16 Championship (2012), and U18 Championship (2013) achieving a Spanish National ranking as high as #151. Ruiz’s player highlights include:
- WINS over top 100 National Senior Ranked Players (Spain)
- 11 Senior Titles.
- Champion U14 Master "Caja España 2010"
- 9 Times Regional Champion in Burgos.
- Runner up in Castilla y Leon State Championship.
- Best National Senior Ranking 151
Men's Tennis Wins Fifth Straight, Tops...
Morin-Kougoucheff Beats Ranked Opponent as Owls...
Men's Tennis Shuts Out NJIT 4-0, Improves to 12-4
Men's Tennis Downs GW, Sweeps UConn Tuesday
Men's Tennis Falls 4-2 in Battle Versus ETSU
Men's Tennis Tops FAMU 4-0, Improves to 9-3
FAU's Andrei Morin-Kougoucheff Enters ITA Rankings