Cristian Paiz finished a strong career at FAU with a victory at no. 2.
April 21, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - Cristian Paiz ended his career at FAU on a winning note, as the senior helped Florida Atlantic University defeat American University, 6-1, Wednesday afternoon. Wednesday's match was the last of the season for an Owls team that finished 15-6. Paiz won in both singles and doubles. Fittingly, Paiz was the last player off the court, wrapping up his win at no. 2, 5-7, 6-3, 6-2.
FAU started the match off by rallying to win the doubles point. Kevin Obletz combined with F.J. Schofield to win at no. 2, 8-4. At no. 1, Antonello Magris and C. Paiz had to battle back down two breaks to secure the point. Magris and C. Paiz won their match, 8-6.
The Eagles immediately fought back in singles, forcing a 1-1 tie.
From there, FAU turned it on to win the final five singles matches. Magris started the momentum by winning at no. 1, 6-4, 6-4. Schofield followed Magris with a win at no. 3, giving the Owls a 3-1 lead. That's when Mauricio Paiz finalized the match, winning 6-2, 2-6, 6-3, at no. 6.
Gianfranco Dossena won his match at no. 4, 6-3, 7-5, before C. Paiz wrapped up the season.
Paiz, a four-year letterman, was the lone senior on the squad. During his career FAU went 62-29 as a team.
For the season, several Owls had standout years. Schofield led the team in victories, winning 18 times while dropping just two. M. Paiz followed by winning 14 times in his freshman campaign. Older brother C. Paiz ended the year with only one loss compared to 11 victories.
Two other Owls finished the season with winning records. Magris was 8-7, all at the no. 1 position, while David Demers finished 9-8.
1. Antonello Magris (FAU) def. Tushar Garg (AU) 6-4, 6-4.
2. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Jonah Fliegelman (AU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Guillaume Tarralle (AU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1.
4. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) def. Sebastian Proisy (AU) 6-3, 7-5.
5. Andreas Kulscar (AU) def. Kevin Obletz (FAU) 6-3, 6-1.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) def. Ruben Rivero (AU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3.
1. Magris/C. Paiz (FAU) def. Garg/Kulscar (AU) 8-6.
2. Obletz/Schofield (FAU) def. Tarralle/Juancarlo Vazquez (AU) 8-4.
3. Fliegelman/Proisy (AU) def. Dossena/M. Paiz (FAU) 8-4.