F.J. Schofield capped off a tough win for FAU.
April 16, 2003
DELAND, FL - The Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament began well for Florida Atlantic University Wednesday afternoon. FAU, the no. 9 seed, opened the tournament by battling its way to a hard-fought 4-3 victory over eight-seeded Jacksonville University. A week made all the difference in the world for the Owls. Last Saturday these same two teams met and it was JU that walked away with a 4-3 win. F.J. Schofield sealed the win with his three set victory at no. 3.
FAU began the match by jumping all over the Dolphins in doubles. David Demers and Schofield bolted out to a 6-0 lead at no. 2 before finally putting away their opponents, 8-6. Seconds later, Cristian Paiz and Oscar Plotnik teamed to get an 8-5 win at no. 1. The third doubles match was left undecided and the Owls headed into singles matches leading, 1-0.
The Owls cushion was short lived. JU sprung back to tie the match, 1-1, by taking the first singles match. Then the seesawing really began. FAU quickly retaliated to take the lead off Oscar Plotnik's, 6-0, 6-1 win.
JU then bounced back to win the next two matches. Suddenly, the Dolphins led, 3-2, with two matches remaining.
That's when Jeremy Perez was able to tie the score with an exhausting two set win over Dale Alderman. Perez needed extra games in both sets winning, 7-6, 7-5.
Perez's win meant the outcome was left in the hands of Schofield and JU's Christoph Mueller. Schofield lost to Mueller in straight sets just four days ago but wasn't about to lose this day. The sophomore from Glendale AZ willed his way to a 7-6, 4-6, 6-1, win by hitting a handful of masterful lobs and forehands.
FAU advances to the second round of the A-Sun tournament to take on UCF. The match will be played at 11:30 am, April 17, at Cummings Tennis Courts. UCF won, 6-1, in their only meeting during the regular season.
1. Ben Birkman (JU) def. Cristian Paiz (FAU) 7-6, 6-3.
2. Martin Hehensteiger (JU) def. David Demers (FAU) 6-2, 6-0.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Christoph Mueller (JU) 7-6, 4-6, 6-1.
4. Andres Rojas (JU) def. Ernest Diaz (FAU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.
5. Jeremy Perez (FAU) def. Dale Alderman (JU) 7-6, 7-5.
6. Oscar Plotnik (FAU) def. Rich Davoli (JU) 6-0, 6-1.
1. Paiz/Plotnik (FAU) def. Birkman/Mueller (JU) 8-5.
2. Demers/Schofield (FAU) def. Hehensteiger/Rojas (JU) 8-6.
3. Diaz/Perez (FAU) vs. Alderman/Dovoli (JU) undecided.