April 15, 2004
Macon, GA - F.J. Schofield and Florida Atlantic University fought off an upset bid by Troy State University, winning, 4-3, Thursday at the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament. The Owls, seeded third, got four wins in singles play to improve to 14-5 on the year. Schofield sealed the match with his, 6-2, 7-5, win at no. 3. The win puts FAU into the semifinals of the A-Sun Tournament.
The sixth-seeded Trojans began their upset bid by winning the doubles point and then following with the first singles point.
The match went back and forth in the singles matches. Troy State picked up wins at nos. 1 and 6 with FAU getting wins at nos. 2, 4, and 5.
David Demers ignited the rally from his no. 4 position. Demers won, 6-3, 6-0, pulling FAU to within one at 2-1. The Owls kept rolling with a win by Cristian Paiz at no. 2, 6-3, 6-0. Gianfranco Dossena put FAU ahead, 3-2, with a 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 5.
Troy State responded by winning at no. 1. That's when Schofield ended the match by defeating Robert Van Swelm.
The Owls advance to the semifinals to face Campbell at 9:00 am on Friday.
1. Irving Morales (TSU) def. Antonello Magris (FAU) 6-2, 6-4.
2. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Emir Basic (TSU) 6-3, 7-5.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Robert Van Swelm (TSU) 6-2, 7-5.
4. David Demers (FAU def. Chris Harfield (TSU) 6-3, 6-0.
5. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) def. Clayton Langheim (TSU) 6-3, 6-4.
6. Charles Van Swelm (TSU) def. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) 6-2, 6-2.
1. Morales/R. Van Swelm (TSU) def. Magris/C. Paiz (FAU) 9-7.
2. Demers/Schofield (FAU) def. Basic/Harfield (TSU) 8-6
3. Langheim/C. Van Swelm (TSU) def. Dossena/Obletz 9-7.