April 14, 2005
DeLAND, FL - Florida Atlantic University defeated Gardner-Webb University, 4-0, in Thursday's first round of the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament in DeLand, FL. With the victory, the Owls will advance to Friday's quarterfinals to take on UCF. FAU (8-11) entered the tournament seeded no. 6 while GWU (2-21) was no. 11.
FAU took the doubles point by winning both matches that finished. David Demers and Kevin Obletz teamed at no. 3 to defeat Chris Brady and Taylor Ferrier, 8-0. Gianfranco Dossena and Antonello Magris clinched the first point of the match with an 8-4 win at no. 1 over Kim Ellis and Kern Phillip. The no. 2 doubles did not finish.
In singles, all the Owls needed were three wins to clinch the match. They took a 2-0 lead when Dossena defeated Brady, 6-0, 6-1, at no. 6. Shortly thereafter, F.J. Schofield downed Ferrier, 6-1, 6-1, at no. 2 to make it 3-0. The match ended when Demers picked up a straight-sets victory over Phillip at no. 3.
Florida Atlantic now sets its sights on Friday's showdown with UCF. The Golden Knights received a first round bye and are seeded no. 3. FAU fell to UCF, 6-1, on February 26 in Boca Raton.
Florida Atlantic 4, Gardner-Webb 0
1. Antonello Magris (FAU) vs Roberto Vasques (GWU), DNF.
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) d. Taylor Ferrier (GWU) 6-1, 6-1.
3. David Demers (FAU) d. Kern Phillip (GWU) 6-4, 6-1.
4. Kevin Obletz (FAU) vs Daniel Abrahao (GWU), DNF.
5. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) vs Kim Ellis (GWU), DNF.
6. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) d. Chris Brady (GWU) 6-0, 6-1.
1. Dossena/Magris (FAU) d. Ellis/Phillip (GWU) 8-4.
2. Bounassar/Schofield (FAU) vs Abrahao/Vasques (GWU), DNF.
3. Demers/Obletz (FAU) d. Brady/Ferrier (GWU) 8-0.