April 11, 2003
Jacksonville, FL - Florida Atlantic University needed every match to edge the University of North Florida, Division II's fourth ranked team, 5-4, on Friday afternoon. The Owls played the match according to Division II rules in which every match, including doubles, counted as a point. With the match tied at 4-4, Oscar Plotnik pulled out a third set victory, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, at no. 6 to seal the victory.
The match began promising as FAU jumped out to a 2-1 lead by taking two of the three doubles matches. David Demers combined with Cristian Paiz to win at no. 1, while Plotnik and F.J. Schofield scored a victory at no. 2.
UNF battled back to take three of the next four matches and a short-lived 4-3 lead. Paiz quickly knotted the match up at four when he defeated Elliot Wood, 7-6, 6-4, at no. 2. That win set the stage for Plotnik's decisive third set victory.
FAU plays its last regular season match Saturday morning against Jacksonville at 11:00 am in Jacksonville, FL.
1. David Olave (UNF) def. David Demers (FAU) 6-3, 6-3.
2. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Elliot Wood (UNF) 7-6, 6-4.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Miguel Angelo Mariano (UNF) 6-2, 6-2.
4. Jose Maria Terrera (UNF) def. Jeremy Perez (FAU) 6-2, 6-3.
5. Damien De Polignac (UNF) def. Ernest Diaz (FAU) 6-0, 6-1.
6. Oscar Plotnik (FAU) def. Jesse McIntyre (UNF) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3.
1. Demers/Paiz (FAU) def. Mariano/Wood (UNF) 8-6.
2. Plotnik/Schofield (FAU) def. McIntyre/Olave (UNF) 8-4.
3. Sheldon Simpson/Terrera (UNF) def. Diaz/Perez (FAU) 8-6.