April 11, 2003
Jacksonville, FL - Florida Atlantic University needed every match to edge the University of North Florida, Division II's fourth ranked team, 5-4, on Friday afternoon. The Owls played the match according to Division II rules in which every match, including doubles, counted as a point. With the match tied at 4-4, Oscar Plotnik pulled out a third set victory, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, at no. 6 to seal the victory.
The match began promising as FAU jumped out to a 2-1 lead by taking two of the three doubles matches. David Demers combined with Cristian Paiz to win at no. 1, while Plotnik and F.J. Schofield scored a victory at no. 2.
UNF battled back to take three of the next four matches and a short-lived 4-3 lead. Paiz quickly knotted the match up at four when he defeated Elliot Wood, 7-6, 6-4, at no. 2. That win set the stage for Plotnik's decisive third set victory.
FAU plays its last regular season match Saturday morning against Jacksonville at 11:00 am in Jacksonville, FL.
1. David Olave (UNF) def. David Demers (FAU) 6-3, 6-3.
2. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Elliot Wood (UNF) 7-6, 6-4.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Miguel Angelo Mariano (UNF) 6-2, 6-2.
4. Jose Maria Terrera (UNF) def. Jeremy Perez (FAU) 6-2, 6-3.
5. Damien De Polignac (UNF) def. Ernest Diaz (FAU) 6-0, 6-1.
6. Oscar Plotnik (FAU) def. Jesse McIntyre (UNF) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3.
1. Demers/Paiz (FAU) def. Mariano/Wood (UNF) 8-6.
2. Plotnik/Schofield (FAU) def. McIntyre/Olave (UNF) 8-4.
3. Sheldon Simpson/Terrera (UNF) def. Diaz/Perez (FAU) 8-6.
Sell and Schohn Recognized as FAU Players of...
Schohn Shines, Leads FAU at Bedford Cup
Men's Tennis Opens Fall at Seahawk Invitational
FAU Athletics to Begin Construction on Varsity ...
Remi Chancerel Earned C-USA’s Second Team...
Men’s Tennis Downed 4-1 by ODU at C-USA...
Tennis Duo Honored for Academic Success