Cristian Paiz has helped turn FAU's season around.
April 3, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University put an end to Stetson University's 20-match win streak, defeating the Hatters, 5-2, Saturday afternoon in Boca Raton, FL. The Owls have caught fire since Cristian Paiz returned to the lineup. Since the senior's return FAU has won 10 of 11 matches. The Owls now stand 13-5 and 3-2 in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Stetson falls to 21-4, 4-2 in the A-Sun.
FAU raced out to a 2-0 lead when Mauricio Paiz, took care of Reid Stubbs at no. 6. M. Paiz won 6-1, 6-2, shortly after the Owls captured the doubles point.
FAU's three other singles wins came at the top of the lineup. C. Paiz notched his win at no. 2, 6-1, 6-4. Antonello Magris and F.J. Schofield followed with wins at nos. 1 and 3, respectively. For Schofield, the win marks his 13th consecutive. The junior needed a 10-3 tiebreak to keep the streak alive.
In doubles, C. Paiz teamed with Magris to win, 8-1, at no. 1. Not long after, David Demers paired with Schofield to seal the point, 8-4, at no. 2.
FAU will next play in the A-Sun tournament April 14, in Macon, GA. Match times will be announce in the near future.
1. Antonello Magris (FAU) def. Vittorio Fratta (SU) 6-4, 6-1.
2. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Christian Moe (SU) 6-1, 6-4.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Birger Soiland (SU) 6-4, 3-6, (3).
4. Thomas Bross (SU) def. David Demers (FAU) 6-4, 6-7 (4).
5. Mario Alberto Cayo (SU) def. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) 6-4, 7-6.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) def. Reid Stubbs (SU) 6-1, 6-2.
1. Magris/ C. Paiz (FAU) def. Fratta/Stubbs (SU) 8-1.
2. Demers/Schofield (FAU) def. Bross/Moe (SU) 8-4.
3. Cayo/Soiland (SU) def. Obletz/M. Paiz (FAU) 8-4.