March 29, 2008
By taking the doubles point and the top four singles matches, Florida Atlantic University's men's tennis team earned a 5-2 win over Sun Belt Conference foe Louisiana-Lafayette. Marc Abdelnour won both his no. 1 singles and no. 2 doubles match on the afternoon.
Abdelnour and Karol Szmurlo both picked up singles wins in two sets, while Olivier Sajous and Corey Smith were challenged at the no. 2 and no. 3 spots. Both players needed three sets and tiebreakers to pick up wins for the Owls.
In doubles play Abdelnour teamed with Eddie Majcher for an exciting 9-7 win over Jorge Delgado and Arlen Domoney, while Osvaldo Benitez and Joshua Scholl took an 8-0 from Stefan Hawkins and Murilo Martins.
Belmont is FAU's next opponent. The Bruins visit Boca Raton for a noon matchup on Monday, March 31.
#65 Florida Atlantic 5, Louisiana-Lafayette 2
1. Marc Abdelnour (FAU) def. Piotrek Banas (ULL) 6-0, 7-6
2. Olivier Sajous (FAU) def. Piotr Olechowski (ULL) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Corey Smith (FAU) def. Arlen Domoney (ULL) 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Karol Szmurlo (FAU) def. Jorge Delgado (ULL) 6-3, 7-6
5. Murilo Martins (ULL) def. Daniel Vardag (FAU) 6-7, 6-4, 7-6
6. Stefan Hawkins (ULL) def. Lawrence Harradine (FAU) 6-4, 7-6
1. Piotrek Banas/Piotr Olechowski (ULL) def. Olivier Sajous/Daniel Vardag (FAU) 8-5
2. Marc Abdelnour/Eddie Majcher (FAU) def. Jorge Delgado/Arlen Domoney (ULL) 9-7
3. Osvaldo Benitez/Joshua Scholl (FAU) def. Stefan Hawkins/Murilo Martins (ULL) 8-0
Florida Atlantic 12-4; National ranking #65