March 29, 2005
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University was defeated by Lynn University, 5-4, Tuesday afternoon in a road non-conference men's tennis match in Boca Raton, FL. The Owls (6-9) won two of three doubles matches before the Fighting Knights (13-2) came back to win four of six singles matches to claim the victory.
In doubles, the team of Gianfranco Dossena and Antonello Magris at no. 1 gave FAU a 1-0 lead when they defeated Jan Macko and Eduardo Morones, 8-6. The Owls went up 2-0 when J.P. Bounassar and F.J. Schofield picked up an 8-6 win at no. 2 over Regnier Azevedo and Dennis Verduin. Lynn pulled to within 2-1 with a win at no. 3.
In singles, the Fighting Knights won the first match that finished, at no. 6, to tie the score at 2-2. The Owls then took a 3-2 lead when David Demers defeated Azevedo, 6-0, 6-2, at no. 3. Lynn then won the next three matches to clinch the victory. FAU's final point came on a straight-sets victory by Schofield at no. 2 over Morones.
Lynn entered the match ranked no. 4 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association in Division II. Balzekas is ranked no. 9 in the nation, and Morones is no. 21. The doubles team of Macko and Morones is no. 5.
Florida Atlantic University is next in action Saturday when it faces Stetson in Deland, FL, at 10:00am.
Lynn 5, Florida Atlantic 4
1. Alvarus Balzekus (LU) d. Antonello Magris (FAU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4.
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) d. Eduardo Morones (LU) 1-6, 7-6, 6-2.
3. David Demers (FAU) d. Regnier Azevedo (LU) 6-0, 6-2.
4. Jan Macko (LU) d. J.P. Bounassar (FAU) 6-3, 7-6.
5. Dennis Riegraf (LU) d. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) 7-5, 6-4.
6. Daniel Zednik (LU) d. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) 6-2, 6-3.
1. Dossena/Magris (FAU) d. Macko/Morones (LU) 8-6.
2. Bounassar/Schofield (FAU) d. Azevedo/Dennis Verduin (LU) 8-6.
3. Balzekas/Riegraf (LU) d. Demers/Kevin Obletz (FAU) 9-7.