March 27, 2005
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University defeated the University of Arkansas-Little Rock, 4-3, Sunday afternoon in non-conference men's tennis action in Boca Raton, FL. The Owls and the Trojans split the six singles matches before FAU won the doubles point to secure the victory. The win improves FAU to 6-8 on the year while UALR drops to 10-7.
The Trojans took an early 2-0 lead with wins at no. 1 and no. 2. J.P. Bounassar gave the Owls their first point with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Nihal Advani at no. 4.
UALR went up 3-1 when Edson Abrao won at no. 3, forcing the Owls to win the final two singles matches as well as the doubles point to get the victory.
The outcome of the match would then be decided by doubles play. FAU, which entered the match with only two doubles points in 13 previous tries, won the first match to finish when Bounassar and Schofield defeated Advani and Dinko Halachev, 8-5, at no. 2. The Owls clinched the match when David Demers and Obletz defeated Rain Roigas and Tim Walter, 8-4, at no. 3.
Florida Atlantic is next in action Tuesday when it plays at Lynn at 2:00pm.
Florida Atlantic 4, Arkansas-Little Rock 3
1. Eduardo Autran (UALR) d. Antonello Magris (FAU) 5-2, ret.
2. Dinko Halachev (UALR) d. F.J. Schofield (FAU) 6-2, 6-3.
3. Edson Abrao (UALR) d. David Demers (FAU) 6-3, 7-5.
4. J.P. Bounassar (FAU) d. Nihal Advani (UALR) 6-4, 6-3.
5. Kevin Obletz (FAU) d. Ricardo Rojas (UALR) 6-1, 7-6.
6. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) d. Juan Carlos Nunez (UALR) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3.
1. Abrao/Autran UALR) d. Dossena/Magris (FAU) 8-5.
2. Bounassar/Schofield (FAU) d. Advani/Halachev (UALR) 8-5.
3. Demers/Obletz (FAU) d. Rain Roigas/Tim Walter (UALR) 8-4.