March 21, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - Antonello Magris stapled down Florida Atlantic University's 4-3 win over no. 75 University of New Orleans, Sunday afternoon in Boca Raton, FL. Magris's third set win came with the score tied at 3-3, pushing FAU over the top. The sophomore broke Luka Bernard three times in the deciding set, winning, 6-4, 6-7, 6-4, at no. 1. The Owls have now won eight straight matches and stand 11-5 on the year.
Trailing, 1-0, after doubles, FAU mounted a strong push in singles.
F.J. Schofield got things started with a win at no. 2. Schofield won his first set, 6-1, when his opponent retired. The victory was Schofield's 11th consecutive. The Paiz brothers went to work next.
With the score tied, 1-1, Mauricio Paiz gave FAU its first lead. M. Paiz knocked off Saif Ali, 6-1, 7-5, at no. 6. Older brother Cristian Paiz won next, extending the lead for the Owls to 3-1. C. Paiz defeated Nicolas Houard, 6-3, 6-1, at no. 3.
Trailing, 3-1, the Privateeers responded by winning the next two matches at nos. 4 and 5. That's when Magris put the match away.
The Owls managed one win in doubles. Magris and M. Paiz won, 8-4, at no. 1.
The match was the longest of the year for the Owls, lasting nearly four and one half hours.
FAU next plays Mercer, 10:00 am March 28, in Boca Raton, FL. The Owls will share the court with the women's squad.
1. Antonello Magris (FAU) def. Luka Bernard (UNO) 6-4, 6-7, 6-4.
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Pierre Ros-Barbier (UNO) 6-1, ret.
3. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Nicolas Houard (UNO) 6-3, 6-1.
4. Julien De La Mettrie (UNO) def. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) 6-4, 6-3.
5. Erwan Rebuffe (UNO) def. David Demers (FAU) 6-1, 6-3.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) def. Saif Ali (UNO) 6-1, 7-5.
1. Magris/C. Paiz (FAU) def. Bernard/Gabriel Delarue (UNO) 8-4.
2. Ali/Ros-Barbier (UNO) def. Kevin Obletz/M. Paiz (FAU) 8-5.
3. Del La Mettrie/Rebuffe (UNO) def. Demers/Schofield (FAU) 8-4.