Juan Todero got FAU's rally started by winning his match at no. 6.
March 21, 2003
BOCA RATON, FL - Senior Cristian Paiz capped off a gutsy come from behind victory for Florida Atlantic University Friday afternoon. The Owls rebounded from a 3-1 deficit to come from behind and shock the University of Wisconsin 4-3. With the win, FAU stands 6-8 on the year.
Trailing 2-0, freshman David Demers put FAU on the board by winning his match at no. 2. Demers defeated David Hippee, 6-2, 6-2, pulling the Owls within one, 2-1.
The Owls didn't pick up steam however until Juan Todero dropped Mark Weinig, 3-6, 6-0, 6-2, at no. 6. Todero's win pulled FAU back to within one at 3-2.
From that point on, FAU didn't drop a set. Ernest Diaz put Jeremiah Fuller away by winning his final set, while Paiz won the last two sets of his match. Paiz's win gave FAU the dramatic 4-3 victory.
In doubles, Demers and Paiz teamed to win at no. 2, 8-2.
1. Alexander Kasarov (UW) def. Kevin Obletz (FAU) 6-1, 1-0 (ret).
2. David Demers (FAU) def. David Hippee (UW) 6-2, 6-2.
3. Blake Baratz (UW) def. Jeremy Perez (FAU) 6-2, 7-6.
4. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Scott Green (UW) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3.
5. Ernest Diaz (FAU) def. Jeremiah Fuller (UW) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.
6. Juan Todero (FAU) def. Mark Weinig (UW) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2.
1. Hippee/Kasarov (UW) def. Diaz/Todero (FAU) 8-2.
2. Demers/Paiz (FAU) def. Green/Weinig (UW) 8-2.
3. Baratz/Bortz (UW) def. Obletz/Perez (FAU) 8-4.