March 20, 2005
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University was defeated by Indiana State University, 4-3, Sunday in non-conference men's tennis action in Boca Raton, FL. The Sycamores (4-4) won the doubles point and held off an FAU rally in singles to win the match. The loss drops FAU to 5-7 on the year.
In doubles, ISU won the first match when Christoper Eldon and Anton Tysmbalov defeated FAU's J.P. Bounassar and Mauricio Paiz, 8-3, at no. 2. ISU clinched the doubles point when Aaron Phillips and Simon Thornewill claimed an 8-5 victory over Antonello Magris and F.J. Schofield at no. 1. FAU's David Demers and Kevin Obletz won their doubles match at no. 3.
In singles, FAU tied the match at 1-1 when Schofield easily defeated Rishi Behl, 6-2, 6-2, at no. 2. The win was the seventh straight for Schofield and improved his overall singles record to 13-5.
The Sycamores regained the lead when Kevin Doh defeated Paiz at no. 6, 6-2, 6-2. ISU then went up 3-1 when Tysmbalov defeated Magris, 6-1, 6-4, at no. 1.
The Owls would come back with victories in the next two matches that finished. When Bounassar defeated Eldon, 7-5, 6-4, at no. 4, FAU trailed 3-2. For Bounassar, it was his fifth straight win, upping his record to 8-3 on the year.
Obletz then won a marathon 7-5, 5-7, 7-5 decision over Phillips at no. 5 to even the match at 3-3. Demers also went to a third set against Thornewill in what turned out to be the decisive match as Thornewill pulled off a 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 victory.
Florida Atlantic is next in action March 25 when it hosts Wisconsin at 3:00pm.
Indiana State 4, Florida Atlantic 3
1. Anton Tsymbalov (ISU) d. Antonello Magris (FAU) 6-1, 6-4.
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) d. Rishi Behl (ISU) 6-2, 6-2.
3. Simon Thornewill (ISU) d. David Demers (FAU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5.
4. J.P. Bounassar (FAU) d. Christoper Eldon (ISU) 7-5, 6-4.
5. Kevin Obletz (FAU) d. Aaron Phillips (ISU) 7-5, 5-7, 7-5.
6. Kevin Doh (ISU) d. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) 6-2, 6-2.
1. Phillips/Thornewill (ISU) d. Magris/Schofield (FAU) 8-5.
2. Eldon/Tsymbalov (ISU) d. Bounassar/Paiz (FAU) 8-3.
3. Demers/Obletz (FAU) d. Behl/Doh (ISU) 8-6.