Mauricio Paiz is one of several Owls playing well.
March 20, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - Mauricio Paiz capped off a 4-1 Florida Atlantic University win over Navy, Saturday afternoon in Boca Raton, FL. FAU has now won seven consecutive matches, improving its record to 10-5 overall. Paiz defeated Haley Dodson, 6-2, 6-3, at no. 6. The freshman has won six of his last seven singles matches.
FAU found itself in a 1-0 hole early but quickly bounced back. Gianfranco Dossena captured the first point for the Owls when his opponent went down with an injury. Dossena was leading, 4-1, in the first set when Adrian Lai couldn't continue.
Cristian Paiz gave FAU the lead, winning his match at no. 2. The senior won his fifth consecutive match at that position, 6-2, 6-3.
Shortly after C. Paiz's win, Antonello Magris followed with a victory at no. 1. His win came against Stanley Kahl, 6-1, 6-2. Magris also has a five match singles win streak.
The last two matches were left undecided.
In doubles, FAU managed one win. C. Paiz teamed with Magris to win, 8-3, at no. 1.
FAU hosts the University of New Orleans, 11:00 am March 21, in Boca Raton, FL.
1. Antonello Magris (FAU) def. Stanley Kahl (N) 6-1, 6-2.
2. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Ryan Osgood (N) 6-2, 6-3.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Davy Lee (N) unfinished.
4. David Demers (FAU) def. Brandon Carter (N) unfinished.
5. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) def. Adrian Lai (N) 4-1, ret.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) def. Haley Dodson (N) 6-2, 6-3.
1. Magris/C. Paiz (FAU) def. Carter/Kahl (N) 8-3.
2. Dodson/Osgood (N) def. Dossena/Obletz (FAU) 8-4.
3. Lai/Lee (N) def. Demers/Schofield (FAU) 8-6.