Antonello Magris helped FAU win its fifth consecutive match
March 17, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - Antonello Magris wouldn't allow Florida Atlantic University to let a large lead slip away, as the Owls hung on to win, 4-3, against the University of Wisconsin Wednesday afternoon in Boca Raton, FL. Magris trailed a break when he stopped the Badgers rally by defeating Alexander Kasarov, 7-5, 2-6, 6-4, at no. 1. FAU once led the match 3-1. With the win, FAU improves to 8-5 on the year.
The Owls trailed early, 1-0, following doubles but quickly took control of the match during singles play. F.J. Schofield, the Atlantic Sun Player-of-the-Week, got things rolling at no. 3. The junior defeated Scott Green, 6-3, 6-2. Schofield stretched his consecutive win streak to nine.
Following Schofield, the Paiz brothers widened FAU's lead to 3-1. Cristian Paiz downed David Hippee, 6-4, 6-1, at no. 2. Mauricio Paiz took care of Mark Weinig, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, at no. 6. That's when UW got hot.
The Badgers went on to win the next two matches at nos. 4 and 5, tying the match at 3-3. Fortunately for the Owls, Magris was able to turn his match around at no. 1.
FAU next takes the court against Georgia Southern University, 1:00 pm March 19, in Boca Raton, FL. The men will share the court with the Lady Owls who play Army.
1. Kasarov/Hippee (UW) def. Magris/C. Paiz (FAU) 8-3.
2. Conti/Green (UW) def. Gianfranco Dossena/Obletz (FAU) 8-5.
3. Bortz/Jordan Raemisch (UW) def. Demers/Schofield (FAU) 8-4.
1. Antonello Magris (FAU) def. Alexander Kasarov (UW) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4.
2. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. David Hippee (UW) 6-4, 6-1.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Scott Green (UW) 6-3, 6-2.
4. Alex Conti (UW) def. David Demers (FAU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7).
5. Ward Bortz (UW) def. Kevin Obletz (FAU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) def. Mark Weinig (UW) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.