March 16, 2005
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University was defeated by Auburn-Montgomery, 4-3, Wednesday afternoon in non-conference men's tennis action in Boca Raton, FL. The loss drops the Owls to 4-6 on the year. F.J. Schofield, J.P. Bounassar, and Kevin Obletz all picked up singles victories for the Owls in a match that came down to the final set at no. 1 singles.
The Senators took an early 1-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles matches. The Owls came back to tie the score at 1-1 when Bounassar defeated David Budler, 6-2, 6-2. Auburn-Montgomery went up 2-1 with a win at no. 6 before Schofield's 6-4, 6-3 win over Joel Kusnierz at no. 2 tied the match at 2-2.
FAU fell behind 3-2 when David Bidmeade defeated FAU's David Demers, 6-4, 6-3, at no. 3. The Owls then responded with a victory from Kevin Obletz, who battled back from a one-set deficit at no. 5 to defeat Frederico Marty in three sets. That tied the score at 3-3 with the outcome of the no. 1 match still in doubt.
FAU's Antonello Magris and AM's Dabeil Plasa were battling in the top position with Plasa taking the first set 6-3. Magris came back to claim the second set by winning a 7-5 tiebreaker to set up the fateful third set that went to Plasa, 6-3.
Florida Atlantic next faces Webber International in a home match Saturday at 2:00pm.
Auburn-Montgomery 4, Florida Atlantic 3
1. Daneil Plasa (AM) d. Antonello Magris (FAU) 6-3, 6-7, 6-3.
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) d. Joel Kusnierz (AM) 6-4, 6-3.
3. David Bidmeade (AM) d. David Demers (FAU) 6-4, 6-3.
4. J.P. Bounassar (FAU) d. David Budler (AM) 6-2, 6-2.
5. Kevin Obletz (FAU) d. Frederico Marty (AM) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
6. Willy Frei (AM) d. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) 7-6, 7-5.
1. Kusnierz/Plasa (AM) d. Magris/Schofield (FAU) 8-2.
2. Bidmeade/David Pantovic (AM) d. Demers/Obletz (FAU) 8-5.
3. Budler/Alejandro Cornejo (AM) d. Bounassar/Paiz (FAU) 8-3.