March 15, 2005
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University defeated Colgate University, 5-2, in non-conference men's tennis action Tuesday afternoon in Boca Raton, FL. The win improves the Owls to 4-5 on the year as the team has now won two straight and three of its past four.
The Raiders (5-14) opened the match by securing the doubles point. The team of Peter Oman and Mickey Gallagher picked up an 8-2 win at no. 3 against FAU's J.P. Bounassar and Mauricio Paiz. The Owls came back to win at no. 1 when Antonello Magris and F.J. Schofield defeated Scott Coope and Chris Innes 8-0. Colgate then clinched the match's first point with a win at no. 2.
In singles, the Owls tied the match when Cristian Paiz defeated Jake Heims at no. 6 to make it 1-1. FAU then went ahead 2-1 when Schofield defeated Coope, 6-0, 6-0, at no. 2. The win improved Schofield to 10-5 on the year and 5-3 in dual match play. Bounassar made it 3-1 with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Gallagher at no. 4. The Owls clinched the match when David Demers blanked Innes in straight sets at no. 3.
Magris also picked up a win for the Owls at no. 1 while Oman was the lone singles winner for Colgate.
Florida Atlantic next faces Auburn-Montgomery at home Wednesday afternoon at 3:00pm.
Florida Atlantic 5, Colgate 2
1. Antonello Magris (FAU) d. Reed Hagman (CU) 6-3, 5-7, 10-6.
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) d. Scott Coope (CU) 6-0, 6-0.
3. David Demers (FAU) d. Chris Innes (CU) 6-0, 6-0.
4. J.P. Bounassar (FAU) d. Mickey Gallagher (CU) 6-1, 6-1.
5. Peter Oman (CU) d. Kevin Obletz (FAU) 7-6, 6-4.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) d. Jake Heims (CU) 3-4, ret.
1. Magris/Schofield (FAU) d. Coope/Innes (CU) 8-0.
2. Hagman/Heims (CU) d. Demers/Obletz (FAU) 8-5.
3. Gallagher/Oman (CU) d. Bounassar/Paiz (FAU) 8-2.
Men's Tennis Wins Fifth Straight, Tops...
Morin-Kougoucheff Beats Ranked Opponent as Owls...
Men's Tennis Shuts Out NJIT 4-0, Improves to 12-4
Men's Tennis Downs GW, Sweeps UConn Tuesday
Men's Tennis Falls 4-2 in Battle Versus ETSU
Men's Tennis Tops FAMU 4-0, Improves to 9-3
FAU's Andrei Morin-Kougoucheff Enters ITA Rankings