March 15, 2005
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University defeated Colgate University, 5-2, in non-conference men's tennis action Tuesday afternoon in Boca Raton, FL. The win improves the Owls to 4-5 on the year as the team has now won two straight and three of its past four.
The Raiders (5-14) opened the match by securing the doubles point. The team of Peter Oman and Mickey Gallagher picked up an 8-2 win at no. 3 against FAU's J.P. Bounassar and Mauricio Paiz. The Owls came back to win at no. 1 when Antonello Magris and F.J. Schofield defeated Scott Coope and Chris Innes 8-0. Colgate then clinched the match's first point with a win at no. 2.
In singles, the Owls tied the match when Cristian Paiz defeated Jake Heims at no. 6 to make it 1-1. FAU then went ahead 2-1 when Schofield defeated Coope, 6-0, 6-0, at no. 2. The win improved Schofield to 10-5 on the year and 5-3 in dual match play. Bounassar made it 3-1 with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Gallagher at no. 4. The Owls clinched the match when David Demers blanked Innes in straight sets at no. 3.
Magris also picked up a win for the Owls at no. 1 while Oman was the lone singles winner for Colgate.
Florida Atlantic next faces Auburn-Montgomery at home Wednesday afternoon at 3:00pm.
Florida Atlantic 5, Colgate 2
1. Antonello Magris (FAU) d. Reed Hagman (CU) 6-3, 5-7, 10-6.
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) d. Scott Coope (CU) 6-0, 6-0.
3. David Demers (FAU) d. Chris Innes (CU) 6-0, 6-0.
4. J.P. Bounassar (FAU) d. Mickey Gallagher (CU) 6-1, 6-1.
5. Peter Oman (CU) d. Kevin Obletz (FAU) 7-6, 6-4.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) d. Jake Heims (CU) 3-4, ret.
1. Magris/Schofield (FAU) d. Coope/Innes (CU) 8-0.
2. Hagman/Heims (CU) d. Demers/Obletz (FAU) 8-5.
3. Gallagher/Oman (CU) d. Bounassar/Paiz (FAU) 8-2.
Sell and Schohn Recognized as FAU Players of...
Schohn Shines, Leads FAU at Bedford Cup
Men's Tennis Opens Fall at Seahawk Invitational
FAU Athletics to Begin Construction on Varsity ...
Remi Chancerel Earned C-USA’s Second Team...
Men’s Tennis Downed 4-1 by ODU at C-USA...
Tennis Duo Honored for Academic Success