Antonello Magris won a three-set match at no. 1.
March 10, 2004
Orlando, FL - Antonello Magris registered his first singles victory as an Owl, as Florida Atlantic University defeated Georgia State University, 4-1, Wednesday afternoon in Orlando, FL. Magris's win was a come from behind three-set, 2-6, 6-3, 6-3, win at no. 1 that wrapped up the win. FAU never trailed as it improved its record to 6-5 overall and 2-2 in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
With the score tied, 1-1, F.J. Schofield put the Owls up for good. The junior cruised to a 6-4, 6-2 win at no. 3. That win marks Schofield's seventh consecutive victory.
David Demers recorded the third point for FAU by defeating Matija Sulin, 7-6, 6-3, at no. 4. Demers is putting together a streak of his own. The sophomore has now won three straight.
Lead by the Paiz brothers, FAU swept the three doubles matches. Senior Cristian Paiz teamed with Magris to win, 8-6, at no. 1. At no. 2, freshman Mauricio Paiz paired with Gianfranco Dossena to win, 8-4. Schofield and Demers combined to win at no. 3, 9-7.
FAU next plays Radford, 2:00 pm March 13, in Boca Raton, FL.
1. Antonello Magris (FAU) def. Jaime Rodriquez (GSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3.
2. Cristian Paiz (FAU) vs. Albano Franco (GSU) unfinished.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Miha Lisac (GSU) 6-4, 6-2.
4. David Demers (FAU) def. Matija Sulin (GSU) 7-6, 6-3.
5. Kevin Obletz (FAU) vs. Clarence Boyd (GSU) unfinished.
6. Nicolas Lipica (GSU) def. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) 6-2, 6-2.
1. Magris/ C Paiz (FAU) def. Lisac/Rodriquez (GSU) 8-6.
2. Dossena/ Mauricio Paiz (FAU) def. Franco/Sulin (GSU) 8-4.
3. Demers/Schofield (FAU) def. Boyd/Lupica (GSU) 9-7.