March 4, 2014
BOCA RATON, Fla. – Florida Atlantic men’s tennis defeated Wright State 4-3 on Tuesday, despite playing without their normal No. 1 position player FAU sophomore Andrei Morin-Kougoucheff. Morin-Kougoucheff injured his knee yesterday in the match against Toledo and sat out of today’s match as a precaution. Despite the change in the line up the Owls won 4 of 6 singles matches to beat a tough Wright State team after losing the doubles point. FAU Head coach Ricardo Gonzalez attributes the win to the Owls ability to stick together.
“This was a 100% team effort, our guys should be feeling good about themselves and the way they fought,” said Gonzalez.
FAU’s victory Tuesday is the second time this season the Owls have won back-to-back matches and the first time this season FAU has won a match in which they did not win the doubles point.
“We won a lot close battles today and it is not a coincidence, we have worked hard and focused on the little details,” said the FAU Head coach.
“Most importantly, our guys are finding ways to win when they are not playing their best tennis and this is what champions do.”
FAU junior Will Neuner played in the No. 1 position and defeated Hayden Joblin 3-6, 6-1, 6-1. FAU Junior Richard Meade won his second consecutive match defeating Lauri Makikalli 6-2, 6-2. FAU freshman Gerald Nickerson defeated Ricard Pineda 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 and FAU junior Robert Dubuque defeated Michal Lyzwa 6-3, 6-3. The win moves FAU to 7-6 on the season with one more match to play this week.
Florida Atlantic 4, Wright State 3
3/04/2014 at Boca Raton, FL
1. Will Neuner (FAU) def. Hayden Joblin (WRIGHT) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Richard Meade (FAU) def. Lauri Makikalli (WRIGHT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Dan Gilbert (WRIGHT) def. Sean Bacha (FAU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
4. Gerald Nickerson (FAU) def. Ricardo Pineda (WRIGHT) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. Robert Dubuque (FAU) def. Michal Lyzwa (WRIGHT) 6-3, 6-3
6. Aaron Madaris (WRIGHT) def. Harrison Heysek (FAU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Ricardo Pineda/Hayden Joblin (WRIGHT) def. Will Neuner/Richard Meade (FAU) 8-5
2. Lauri Makikalli/Michal Lyzwa (WRIGHT) def. Gerald Nickerson/Stefan Burnett (FAU) 8-5
3. Sean Bacha/Robert Dubuque (FAU) vs. Myles Harris/Dan Gilbert (WRIGHT) 7-6, unfinished