David Demers came from behind to win his match, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Feb. 26, 2003
BOCA RATON, FL - No. 63 Florida Atlantic University dropped a hard-fought match, 4-3, to Barry University on Wednesday evening. The two teams battled back-and-forth in a match that was tied three different times.
After dropping the doubles point by just a tiebreaker, FAU fought back to tie the score at 1-1 when Oscar Plotnik defeated Filip Norrman, 6-0, 6-3. Momentum stayed on FAU's side as the Owls jumped on top 2-1 when Ernest Diaz downed Dirk Bennighaus 6-3, 6-3.
That's when Barry responded with two wins of its own to take the lead 3-2.
Freshman David Demers then made things interesting when he beat the 13th ranked Division II player, Samir M'Bioka, in three sets, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. Demers win tied the match for the third time.
In doubles, Cristian Paiz and Plotnik defeated Thomas Hipp and Sebastian Losavio, 8-1.
Barry, ranked no.13 in Division II, entered the match undefeated and moves to 6-0 on the year. Meanwhile, FAU falls to 4-5 for the season.
FAU will next host American University on March 10 at 2:00 pm.
1. David Demers (FAU) def. Samir M'Bioka (BU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
2. Thomas Hipp (BU) def. Cristian Paiz (FAU) 7-5, 6-4.
3. Gerold Wiring (BU) def. Kevin Obletz (FAU) 6-3, 6-2.
4. Sebastian Losavio (BU) def. F.J. Schofield (FAU) 6-7, 6-4, 6-2.
5. Oscar Plotnik (FAU) def. Filip Norrman (BU) 6-0, 6-3.
6. Ernest Diaz (FAU) dev. Dirk Bennighaus (BU) 6-3, 6-3.
1. M'Bioka/Wiring (BU) def. Demers/Schofield (FAU) 9-8.
2. Paiz/Plotnik (FAU) def. Hipp/Losavio (BU) 8-1.
3. Bennighaus/Praderas (BU) def. Obletz/Todero (FAU) 8-5.