Feb. 23, 2014
BOCA RATON, Fla. (February 22, 2014) – Florida Atlantic University’s men’s tennis fell to No. 38 Florida State on Saturday, 7-0. The match against the Seminoles was FAU’s fifth match against a ranked opponent this season. The loss drops FAU to under .500 on the season, with an overall record of 5-6 and 2-4 record on the road.
Despite being swept on Saturday FAU did manage to challenge FSU early. FAU Junior Robert Dubuque pushed his first set to a 13-11 tiebreaker before being defeated by Michael Rinaldi 7-6 (13-11), 6-0. FAU junior Will Neuner also fought hard to get his match to a first set tiebreaker before being defeated by Cristian Gonzalez Mendez 7-6 (7-1), 6-0. The FAU team of Will Neuner and Andrei Morin-Kougoucheff was also defeated by Marco Nunez and Grayson Goldin 8-3, their first loss in three matches. The pair is 2-1 in their last three matches and 6-4 on the season.
The Owls look to bounce back Monday March 3, at 12 p.m. against Toledo, at home in Boca Raton.
Tennis Match Results
Florida Atlantic vs Florida State
02/22/14 at Tallahassee, Fla.
#38 Florida State 7, Florida Atlantic 0
1. Dominic Cotrone (FS) def. Andrei M-Kougoucheff (FAU) 6-1, 6-1
2. C. Gonzalez Mendez (FS) def. Will Neuner (FAU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-0
4. Grayson Goldin (FS) def. Sean Bacha (FAU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Michael Rinaldi (FS) def. Robert Dubuque (FAU) 7-6 (13-11), 6-0
6. João Gauer (FS) def. Stefan Burnett (FAU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Marco Nunez/Grayson Goldin (FS) def. Andrei M-Kougoucheff/Will Neuner (FAU) 8-3
2. Dominic Cotrone/Michael Rinaldi (FS) def. Richard Meade/Stefan Burnett (FAU) 8-1
3. C. Gonzalez Mendez/João Gauer (FS) vs. Sean Bacha/Robert Dubuque (FAU) 5-6, unfinished
Florida Atlantic 5-6
Florida State 11-2; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,1,6,3,2,5)