Feb. 20, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - Mauricio Paiz tied the match at 3-3 but Florida Atlantic University didn't have enough to get over the top of Jacksonville University Friday afternoon, falling, 4-3, in Boca Raton. With the loss, FAU starts the year 0-1 in Atlantic Sun Play and 3-4 overall. JU improves to 2-4 and 1-0 in the A-Sun. FAU twice dug itself out of a hole tie the match.
The Owls started the match with a 2-0 deficit after JU squeaked out the doubles point and won the first singles match.
That's when Kevin Obletz and F.J. Schofield stepped up. Obletz, playing in his first singles match since the season opener, dropped Andres Rojas, 6-2, 6-3, at no. 5. Previously, Obletz's matches has been limited to doubles action due to injury.
Shortly after, Schofield finished off Peter Wietrak, 6-2, 6-4, at no. 3, forcing the first tie, 2-2, of the match. Schofield has a team best 6-1 singles record.
The two teams split the next two matches with Paiz defeating JU's Neil Shgal 6-3, 7-6 at no. 6. Paiz's win tied the match at 3-3, but that was as close as the Owls would get.
FAU plays Central Florida 11:00 am February 28, in Orlando, FL.
1. Ben Birkmann (JU) def. Antonello Magris (FAU) 7-6, 6-1.
2. Martin Hehesteiger (JU) def. David Demers (FAU) 6-0, 6-4.
3. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Peter Wietrak (JU) 6-2, 6-4.
4. Christoph Mueller (JU) def. Daniel McCauley (FAU) 6-3, 6-4.
5. Kevin Obletz (FAU) def. Andres Rojas (JU) 6-2, 6-3.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) def. Neil Sehgal (JU) 6-3, 7-6.
1. Magris/Juan Todero (FAU) def. Birkmann/Mueller (JU) 8-4.
2. Hehensteiger/Sehgal (JU) def. Demers/Schofield (FAU) 8-4.
3. Rojas/Wietrak (JU) def. Gianfranco Dossena/Paiz (FAU) 9-7.