Feb. 15, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - F.J. Schofield powered his way past Prungwa Mahefeu at no. 2, securing Florida Atlantic University's 4-3 win over no. 70 Florida A&M University. The win evens the Owls' record at 3-3 on the year. Schofield's 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 victory, his fifth in six matches, came with FAU clinging to a 3-2 lead. Rain pushed the match back three hours, but when play did begin, FAU came out running.
Mauricio Paiz played a large role in giving the Owls an early cushion. With the two teams splitting the first two doubles matches, Paiz teamed with Juan Todero to lock up the point. The tandem's 9-8 win at no. 2 came briefly after Kevin Obletz and Gianfranco Dossena registered a 8-4 win at no. 3.
Paiz wasn't done after doubles. The freshman made quick work of Jarrell Williams at no. 6, winning 6-4, 6-1 and giving FAU a 2-0 advantage.
The lead grew to 3-0 when David Demers dropped Davin Russell, 7-6, 6-0, at no. 1.
Just when the match looked in hand, the Rattlers fought back. FAMU won the next two matches pulling within 3-2. That's when Schofield shut the door by recorded his match-determining win.
FAU opens up Atlantic Sun Conference play against Jacksonville, 2:00 pm, February 20, at FAU Courts.
1. David Demers (FAU) def. Davin Russell (FAMU) 7-6, 6-0.
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Pfungwa Mahefeu (FAMU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1.
3. Yves Sinson (FAMU) def. Daniel McCauley (FAU)4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
4. Zurab Zhvania (FAMU) def. Juan Todero (FAU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
5. Frank Green (FAMU) def. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) 6-3, 7-5.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) def. Jarrell Williams (FAMU) 6-4, 6-1.
1. Mahefeu/Sinson (FAMU) def. Demers/Schofield (FAU) 8-5.
2. Paiz/Todero (FAU) def. Russell/Williams (FAMU) 9-8.
3. Dossena/Obletz (FAU) def. Green/Zhvania (FAMU) 8-4.
Sell and Schohn Recognized as FAU Players of...
Schohn Shines, Leads FAU at Bedford Cup
Men's Tennis Opens Fall at Seahawk Invitational
FAU Athletics to Begin Construction on Varsity ...
Remi Chancerel Earned C-USA’s Second Team...
Men’s Tennis Downed 4-1 by ODU at C-USA...
Tennis Duo Honored for Academic Success