Feb. 12, 2005
BOCA RATON - Singles play was the difference Saturday afternoon as the Florida Atlantic University men's tennis team downed Georgia Southern 5-2 in a non-conference match-up. FAU lost all three doubles matches before rallying to take five of six singles contests. The Owls improve to 2-4 while the Eagles fall to 1-4.
On the singles side, sophomores J.P. Bounassar and Mauricio Paiz defeated their opponents for the second consecutive match, while junior David Demers and freshman Eugenio Pellman each picked up their first win of the season. Senior F.J. Schofield picked up the last singles point for the Owls at the No. 2 position.
Florida Atlantic 5, Georgia Southern 2
1. Patry/Van Den Heever (GSU) d. Magris/Schofield, 8-6
2. Janashia/Flores (GSU) d. Pellman/Dossena, 8-5
3. Trottet/Green (GSU) d. Demers/Bounassar, 9-8 (6)
1. Vincent Patry (GSU) d. Antonello Magris, 6-2, 6-3
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) d. Danie Van Den Heever, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. J.P. Bounassar (FAU) d. Laska Janashia, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. David Demers (FAU) d. Charles-Henri Trottet, 6-4, 7-5
5. Eugenio Pellman (FAU) d. Tom Green, 4-1, retired
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) d. Diego Flores, 6-2, 6-1
Men's Tennis Opens C-USA Tournament Friday
Jimenez Named to Conference USA All-Academic Team
Remi Chancerel Named C-USA Tennis Athlete of...
Men's Tennis Falls 4-3 at No. 38 Georgia State
Thorsås and Chancerel Named FAU Players...
Men's Tennis Upends UAB, Improves to 17-5
Men's Tennis Tops Lipscomb on Senior Day