Feb. 11, 2003
Boca Raton, FL - Florida Atlantic University had four players win singles matches at Lynn University Tuesday afternoon, but it wasn't enough as no. 64 FAU dropped the match 5-4. In this match, played under division II rules, each doubles match counted as one point.
After dropping all three doubles matches and finding itself in a 3-0 hole, FAU began to battle back when F.J. Schofield secured the Owls' first point by defeating Raigo Saluste, 6-2, 6-0.
However, the rally came up just short, as Kevin Obletz was the only Owl able to pull off a third set victory, beating Jan Macko, 7-6, 2-6, 6-3.
Had the match been at Florida Atlantic, the final outcome would have been different, but with FAU traveling to Lynn, the game was subject to Division II rules. According to Division II rules, each match, including all three doubles matches are worth one point. The loss drops FAU to 3-4 on the year.
FAU will next host Florida A&M on February 15, at 11:00 am.
1. Marius Calugaru (LU) def. David Demers (FAU) 6-2, 7-5.
2. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Raphael Almeida (LU) 6-3, 6-4.
3. Kevin Obletz (FAU) def. Jan Macko (LU) 7-6, 2-6, 6-3.
4. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Raigo Saluste (LU) 6-2, 6-0.
5. Oscar Argaez (LU) def. Oscar Plotnik (FAU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2.
6. Jeremy Perez (FAU) def. Alejandro DeFrancisco 7-5, 6-2.
Calugaru/Macko (LU) def. Paiz/Plotnik (FAU) 8-5.
Almeida/Thorsten Poelzl (LU) def. Demers/Schofield (FAU) 8-6.
Argaez/Raigo (LU) def. Diaz/Perez (FAU) 8-6.