Feb. 5, 2005
BOCA RATON - The FAU men's tennis team fell 4-3 to Belmont on Saturday afternoon in an Atlantic Sun Conference match-up. The loss drops the Owls to 1-4 on the year and 1-1 in the A-Sun, while the Bruins improve to 3-4, 2-0.
The Owls got off to a bright start, winning the doubles point thanks to victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. Antonello Magris and F.J. Schofield won 8-3 at the top spot while David Demers, making his first appearance of the year, teamed up with J.P. Bounassar to win 8-5 at the third spot. David Glas, also making his 2005 debut, fell 8-2 with partner Mauricio Paiz at No. 2.
Magris lost a close match to Englishman Alex Gillott 7-6 (2), 7-5 at No. 1 singles while Schofield suffered a similar fate at No. 2, falling 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 to Felipe Lima. Bounassar picked up a point for the Owls at the three position, but Kevin Obletz and Demers lost at four and five respectively to give Belmont the victory. Paiz grabbed the final FAU point with a victory over Ignacio Gesto at the No. 6 position.
FAU will have six days off before returning to action on Saturday, February 12th when they host Georgia Southern at 11:00 a.m.
Belmont 4, Florida Atlantic 3
1. Magris/Schofield (FAU) d. Gillott/Gesto, 8-3
2. Rodriguez/Rocha (BU) d. Paiz/Glas, 8-2
3. Demers/Bounassar (FAU) d. Lima/Abreu, 8-5
1. Alex Gillott (BU) d. Antonello Magris, 7-6 (2), 7-5
2. Felipe Lima (BU) d. F.J. Schofield, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. J.P. Bounassar (FAU) d. Javier Rodriguez, 6-4, 6-2
4. Felipe Abreu (BU) d. Kevin Obletz, 6-4, 7-5
5. Fausto Rocha (BU) d. David Demers, 6-2, 6-1
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) d. Ignacio Gesto, 6-2, 3-0, retired