F.J. Schofield helped FAU win its first match of the season.
Feb. 5, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - F.J. Schofield's, 6-2, 6-1, win sealed Florida Atlantic University's first victory of the season, 5-2, against NAIA foe Embry-Riddle University Thursday afternoon. The win evens the Owls' record at 1-1 and starts the Eagles off 0-1. Three other Owls joined Schofield in the win column, each of which notched their first dual match win as an Owl.
Paiz was the first Owl to register a win after FAU stole the doubles point to start the match. Paiz breezed by Jerry Ward, 6-1, 6-2, at no. 6.
The Eagles pulled to within one point at 2-1 before FAU put the match away. Dossena outdid Danny Arkins, 6-3, 6-1, at no. 5. Shortly after, Schofield took his victory at no. 2 putting the match away.
McCauley topped the victory off with a, 6-4, 7-6, win at no. 3.
FAU next hosts Bethune-Cookman at 10:00 am.
1. Costin Corneanu (ERU) def. David Demers (FAU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
2. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Nicholas Bousquet (ERU) 6-2, 6-1.
3. Daniel McCauley (FAU) def. Dustin Sipka (ERU) 6-4, 7-6 (1).
4. Evan Specht (ERU) def. Juan Todero (FAU) 6-3, 6-0.
5. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) def. Danny Arkins (ERU) 6-3, 6-1.
6. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) def. Jerry Ward (ERU) 6-1, 6-2.
1. Bousquet/Corneanu (ERU) def. Demers/Schofield (FAU) 9-8.
2. McCauley/Todero (FAU) def. Sipka/Specht (ERU) 8-3.
3. Dossena/Paiz (FAU) def. Arkins/Ward (ERU) 8-4.