Feb. 1, 2005
JACKSONVILLE - Trying for a second win in as many days in the 2005 Super Bowl city, the Florida Atlantic University men's tennis team was instead blanked 7-0 by the third-ranked team in Division II, North Florida, on Tuesday afternoon.
The Ospreys (1-0) have two players ranked in the Top 50 and showed why they are a legitimate national championship threat by shutting out the Owls (1-3, 1-0). UNF will join FAU in the Atlantic Sun Conference next season.
FAU came close to winning a point at No. 1 doubles, but the team of junior Antonello Magris and senior F.J. Schofield fell 8-5 to UNF's German Escallon and Leonardo Gomes, the nation's 15th-ranked doubles team.
On the singles side, FSU sophomore transfer J.P. Bounassar gave Escallon a good battle at the No. 3 spot, falling in three sets, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3, while every other match ended in straight sets.
The Owls return to action this Saturday when they host Belmont at 11 a.m. in an Atlantic Sun Conference contest.
North Florida 7, Florida Atlantic 0
1. Escallon/Gomes (UNF) def. Magris/Schofield, 8-5
2. Terrera/Simpson (UNF) def. Pellman/Paiz, 8-1
3. Pereira/Gabay (UNF) def. Obletz/Bounassar, 8-2
1. Jose Terrera (UNF) def. Antonello Magris, 6-1, 7-5
2. Eduardo Pereira (UNF) def. F.J. Schofield, 6-3, 6-3
3. German Escallon (UNF) def. J.P. Bounassar, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
4. Leonardo Gomes (UNF) def. Kevin Obletz, 6-3, 6-1
5. Damien de Polignac (UNF) def. Mauricio Paiz, 6-1, 6-2
6. Sheldon Simpson (UNF) def. Eugenio Pellman, 6-0, 6-0
Massey and Chancerel Represent as FAU Players...
Men's Tennis Wins Seventh Straight 7-0 Versus...
Men's Tennis Dominates FGCU 4-0, Wins Sixth...
Men's Tennis Tops Troy, Wins Fifth Straight
Men's Tennis Knocks Off Keiser 5-2
Men's Tennis Postponed Due to Weather
Tennis Duo of Boos and Chancerel Sweep FAU...