Feb. 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA - Florida Atlantic University opened Atlantic Sun play on Saturday evening when it faced off against Georgia State, in Atlanta, GA. Cristian Piaz won in both doubles and singles, as FAU fell 5-2 to the Panthers.
FAU jumped out to a 1-0 lead after recording two victories in doubles action. The duo of Cristian Paiz and Oscar Plotnik defeated Luka Bernard and Nicolas Lupica 8-4 at no. 1. Soon after, the combination of F.J. Schofield and David Demers recorded an 8-4 win over Miha Lisac and Chris Magnone to give FAU the doubles point.
In singles, Paiz was the only Owl able to register a win, beating Bernard 7-6, 1-6, 6-4 at no. 3.
With the loss FAU falls to 1-3 on the season and 0-1 in the Atlantic Sun.
FAU will continue league play Sunday against Mercer at 9:00 am.
1. Matias Ormaza (GSU) def. David Demers (FAU) 7-5, 7-2.
2. Miha Lisac (GSU) def. Kevin Obletz (FAU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3.
3. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Luka Bernard (GSU) 7-6, 1-6, 6-4.
4. Albano Franco (GSU) def. F.J. Schofield (FAU) 6-4, 6-3.
5. Nicolas Lupica (GSU) def. Jeremy Perez (FAU) 6-3, 6-4.
6. Chris Magnone (GSU) def. Ernest Diaz (FAU) 7-6, 4-6, 7-6.
1. Paiz/Oscar Plotnik (FAU) def. Bernard/Lupica (GSU) 8-4.
2. Franco/Ormaza (GSU) def. Diaz/Perez (FAU)8-2.
3. Demers/Schofield (FAU) def. Lisac/Magnone (GSU) 8-4.
Sell and Schohn Recognized as FAU Players of...
Schohn Shines, Leads FAU at Bedford Cup
Men's Tennis Opens Fall at Seahawk Invitational
FAU Athletics to Begin Construction on Varsity ...
Remi Chancerel Earned C-USA’s Second Team...
Men’s Tennis Downed 4-1 by ODU at C-USA...
Tennis Duo Honored for Academic Success