Jan. 31, 2005
JACKSONVILLE - The Florida Atlantic University men's tennis team picked a good time to win its first match of 2005 on Monday afternoon. The Owls (1-2, 1-0) won five of six available singles matches on their way to a 5-2 victory over short-handed Jacksonville in the Atlantic Sun Conference opener for both teams.
Things started ominously for FAU when the Dolphins (1-2, 0-1) took the doubles point with wins at both the No.1 and No. 2 positions. Both contests were close affairs with the teams of Antonello Magris/Eugenio Pellman and Kevin Obletz/F.J. Schofield falling 8-5. The Owls took the third doubles match by default as JU only had five players available.
FAU then took over the match during singles play. Magris was the only Owl to fall in individual play, losing 6-4, 6-0 at the No. 1 position to Bjoern Behles. Schofield and sophomore J.P. Bounassar coasted at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions while junior Obletz and Mauricio Paiz also won in straight sets at four and five. The Owls picked up their fifth and final point of the day when Pellman won his singles contest by default.
The Owls conclude their visit to Jacksonville on Tuesday with an 11 a.m. game against North Florida. UNF will join the Owls in the Atlantic Sun Conference in 2006 along with Kennesaw State.
Florida Atlantic 5, Jacksonville 2
1. Bjoern Behles/Tarek Merchant (JU) d. Antonello Magris/Eugenio Pellman, 8-5
2. Christian Ritschka/Peter Wietrak (JU) d. Kevin Obletz/F.J. Schofield, 8-5
3. Mauricio Paiz/J.P. Bounassar (FAU) won by default
1. Behles (JU) d. Magris, 6-4, 6-0
2. Schofield (FAU) d. Wietrak, 6-1, 6-2
3. Bounassar (FAU) d. Andrew Burks, 6-2, 6-0
4. Obletz (FAU) d. Ritschka, 7-5, 6-4
5. Paiz (FAU) d. Merchant, 7-5, 6-1
6. Pellman (FAU) won by default
Florida Atlantic Men's Tennis Falls to No. 67...
Florida Atlantic Men's Tennis Beats Nebraska-Om...
FAU Owls 360
FAU Men's Tennis Beats Fairleigh Dickinson 6-1
Florida Atlantic Men's Tennis Beats Boston ...
Florida Atlantic Men's Tennis Sweeps Two...
Florida Atlantic Men's Tennis Falls to No. 68 ODU