Jan. 26, 2005
CORAL GABLES, FL - Junior Kevin Obletz and sophomore Mauricio Paiz picked up singles wins as the FAU men's tennis team lost 4-3 to No. 48 University of Miami on Wednesday afternoon in the season-opener for both teams. FAU's other point came via default at the No. 6 singles spot.
The 'Canes (1-0) took the doubles point after wins at both the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. The FAU team of Antonello Magris and newcomer J.P. Bounassar fell 8-2 to Tim Krebs and Eric Hechtman while Obletz and F.J. Schofield lost 8-4 to John Hoyes and Luis Manrique. FAU won the final doubles match by default.
Krebs, the 123rd ranked singles player, easily defeated Magris at No. 1 singles, 6-1, 6-1. Schofield and Bounassa also lost at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots, but FAU gained some respectability with Obletz's 6-4, 6-3 win over Manrique at No. 4 and Paiz's 7-5, 7-5 victory over Ryan Waits at the No. 5 position.
FAU (0-1) returns to action on Saturday when it faces NAIA opponent Northwood in West Palm Beach at 11 a.m.
1. Tim Krebs (UM) d. Antonello Magris, 6-1, 6-1
2. Eric Hechtman (UM) d. F.J. Schofield, 6-0, 6-3
3. John Hoyes (UM) d. J.P. Bounassar, 6-2, 6-2
4. Kevin Obletz (FAU) d. Luis Manrique, 6-4, 6-3
5. Mauricio Paiz (FAU) d. Ryan Waits, 7-5, 7-5
6. Gianfranco Dossena (FAU) won by default
1. Krebs/Hechtman (UM) d. Magris/Bounassar, 8-2
2. Hoyes/Manrique (UM) d. Obletz/Schofield, 8-4
3. Eugenio Pellman/Paiz (FAU) won by default