Jan. 25, 2003
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University got its first victory in convincing fashion Saturday by defeating Northwood 7-0. Cristian Paiz won his second match of the year at no. 1 as no. 58 FAU dismantled Northwood in straight sets. The victory evened the Owls record at 1-1 for the season.
No. 58 FAU jumped ahead of Northwood 1-0 by sweeping all three doubles matches. In singles, F.J. Schofield quickly defeated Daniel Belair at no.4 (6-1, 6-0), to give the Owls a 2-0 cushion. Soon afterwards, Kevin Obletz, Jeremy Perez, Ernest Diaz, and Juan Todero, each recorded wins for no. 58 FAU. Senior Cristian Paiz clinched the last point by defeating Rich Brown at no. 1, 6-2, 7-5.
In doubles, Paiz paired with Oscar Plotnik to beat Brown and Stefanovic, 8-2. The duos of Obletz and Schofield, and Perez and Todero also recorded wins for the Owls.
1. Cristian Paiz (FAU) d. Rich Brown (NU) 6-2, 7-5.
2. Kevin Obletz (FAU) d. Thibault Roux (NU) 6-3, 6-4.
3. Jeremy Perez (FAU) d. Milous Stefanovic (NU) 6-3, 6-0.
4. F.J. Schofield (FAU) d. Daniel Belair (NU) 6-1, 6-0.
5. Ernest Diaz (FAU) d. Simon Peladeru (NU) 6-2, 6-2.
6. Juan Todero (FAU) d. Martin Guidodono (NU) 6-2, 6-0.
1. Paiz/Oscar Plotnik (FAU) d. Brown/Stefanovic (NU) 8-2.
2. Obletz/Schofield (FAU) d. Guidodono/Roux (NU) 8-6.
3. Perez/Todero (FAU) d. Peladeru/Belair (NU) 8-4.