TALLAHASSEE, Fla.– Three newcomers picked up wins for the Florida Atlantic University men’s tennis team, but the Owls dropped the spring opener 4-3 to Furman on Saturday at the Florida State Spring Invitational.
“We played well in the bottom of the line up but poorly in the top,” FAU Head Coach Ricardo Gonzalez said. “As a team, we came up short. We had plenty of opportunities but didn’t execute properly. We need to learn from this loss and bounce back tougher. We have great leadership in this team and we will make sure the team is ready to compete tomorrow. Hats off to Coach Jones and his team for a well deserved victory. They have a great team.”
- Freshman Ignacio Garcia and junior Anthony Schohn won the No. 3 doubles match 6-4, but Furman took the point with a 6-0 and 7-6 victories
- Furman’s Ivan Mitric topped Anthony Schohn 6-4, 6-3 to open singles play
- FAU newcomer Thomas Bugeaud then beat Daniel Vishnick in No. 6 singles 6-0, 6-4 for FAU’s first point
- Fellow newcomer Jason Legall knocked off Drew Singerman 7-5, 6-3 to even the match 2-2
- Gabriel Sidney gave the Owls a 3-2 advantage with his 6-4, 6-3 win over Jake Bhangdia in No. 5 singles
- Furman bounced back, however, as Jake Munns beat No. 96 Ignacio Garcia 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 to even the match once more
- Playing in No. 1 singles, Remi Chancerel fell 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 to Furman’s Cameron Green as Furman took the match.
FAU will take on Florida A&M at 8 a.m. Sunday as the FSU Spring Invitational rolls on.