Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Soccer Wins Nail Biter Against Stetson 2-1

Oct. 3, 2003

Box Score

BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University's Kristoffer Aarskog scored with nine minutes remaining as the men's soccer team defeated Stetson University 2-1 in its first Atlantic Sun conference game of the year. Aarskog recorded his third game-winning goal of the year while Josh Garbee scored his third goal in three games for the Owls.

"The way we started the game, I felt very good about our chances," said head coach Kos Donev. "We controlled the tempo and the rhythm of the game and created chances for our team to score, which was evident when we got the penalty kick.

"This game was a perfect example of a conference game. It was very exciting and it never ended until the whistle blew. This was an extraordinary win for us because we start the conference season with a win, which is extremely important. This win got the little monkey off of our back."

Aarskog scored his conference leading eighth goal of the season in the 81st minute. Garbee dribbled around three defenders at the top of the key towards the corner endline and crossed the ball into the center of the box. Aarskog leapt up into the air over his defender and headed the ball past the diving Hatters keeper for the goal.

Right from the opening whistle, FAU (4-5-1, 1-0-0 A-Sun) put the pressure on Stetson (3-6-0, 0-1-0 A-Sun). Thirty-five seconds into the match Bjorn Totland dribbled down the right side of the field and passed the ball to Garbee at the top of the key. Garbee spun left around his defender and took a shot that ricocheted off of the right post.

The Owls would get a break in the 25th minute when Ron Fulmore of Stetson was whistled for a red card, leaving the Hatters one man short for the remainder of the game. FAU took advantage of the situation in the 43rd minute when Garbee stormed down the left sideline past the short-handed defense and was fouled by Landrum inside the box, giving Florida Atlantic a penalty kick. Garbee put the ball into the back of the net, his fourth goal of the season, for the 1-0 lead. FAU outshot Stetson 9-6 in the first half.



FAU would immediately start on the offensive in the second half. One minute in, Scott Rauscher played a give and go with Totland down the right line. Rauscher dribbled towards the endline and crossed the ball towards the middle. Aarskog tipped the cross just over the keepers head but also just past the far post.

Aarskog narrowly put the game away in the 52nd minute when he headed Ran Poliker's free kick from midfield over the keeper's hands. The ball rolled towards net but the Hatters' defense kicked the ball out of bounds before it could cross the line. Stetson tied the score at 1-1 in the 70th minute when the Owls defense fouled Ian Zarac in their box, giving the team a penalty kick. Alex Minton put the ball into the left side of the net for his third goal of the season.

Anders Granstad tied a season high by recording six saves on goal. FAU outshot Stetson 21-13 in the game. Garbee has recorded three goals and two assists for eight points in his last three games.

FAU returns to action on Sunday, October 5, 2003 at 7:30 pm against Jacksonville University. Season ticket packages can still be purchased. Adult packages begin at $21 while individual ticket prices are $4 for adults and $2 for seniors/children. For ticket information, call 866-FAU-OWLS. The men's soccer team will also be hosting the Men's Soccer Alumni Weekend. For more information on the Men's Soccer Alumni Weekend, call the men's soccer office at (561) 297-0162.

College Sports Live

Connect with Us



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago