Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Soccer Loses Heartbreaker to Stetson 2-1

Sept. 19, 2002

Final Stats

BOCA RATON, FL - The Florida Atlantic men's soccer team lost to Stetson University in the final minutes Thursday night 2-1, as a late penalty kick by Carl Keever allowed the Hatters to score the go ahead goal. Two red cards and two injuries decimated FAU as Bjorn Totland's second goal of the season was not enough to keep the Owls in the game.

FAU opened the game playing very aggressive and attacking early. In the first minute, off a bad pass by Stetson, Bjorn Masson charged the box for a shot but was fouled hard and FAU was given a penalty kick. Totland took the kick and put it past keeper Ian Landrum for the first goal of the game. From there Totland directed the Owl attack on goal with numerous passes to Per Kyrk-Astemo and Kristoffer Aarskog that could not be converted.

"In the first half, for the third game in a row, we were becoming extra eager and losing our composure. The first thing that goes against us, a yellow card or foul, and we lose it," said Head Coach Kos Donev. "We need to do some soul searching to put something together. We have the players, that's not the problem. We just need to find what works.

Midway through the half, FAU notched it's first yellow card on the night and fell to pieces from there. Minutes after the yellow, central defender Andreas Heggelund injured his right foot and had to be carried off the field. Late in the half, goal keeper Anders Granstad, who was recording a shutout at the time, injured his left ankle and had to be helped off the field and replaced with sophomore keeper Alex Figuero. Minutes later Hatter Daniel Gay crossed the ball to Jason Osbourne who ripped a shot to the left post past a sprawled out Figuero to tie the game at one apiece.



But despite being down two players to injury FAU still came out strong at the second half, attacking and making chances. Ten minutes in the half though Gabe O'Campo was called for an illegal slide tackle and given a red card to put the Owls down a man. Still FAU played aggressively. Their forceful play would hurt them in the end though. With nine minutes to play, players from both teams collided in the FAU box and the Owls were called for the foul leading to the penalty kick. Keever struck the ball into the left side of the net to take the lead as Figuero guessed the opposite side. With emotions running high, Ran Poliker received a red card after the restart to put FAU down another man. The Owls could not regain their form and suffered a tough loss to bring their conference record to 0-2-0.

With the loss, FAU's record falls to 1-4-1 overall and 0-2-0 in the Atlantic Sun and Stetson improves to 2-5-0 overall and 1-0-0 in the conference. The Owls play their next game Sunday, September 22nd versus South Florida at 6:00 pm at FAU Field as Florida Atlantic celebrates Youth Day. The festivities begin at 4:00 pm.

College Sports Live

Connect with Us



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago