BOCA RATON, Fla. – An overtime goal by Carlos Sanchis handed the Florida Atlantic University men’s soccer team a 2-1 win at Conference USA foe South Carolina Saturday, giving head coach Joey Worthen his first victory at the helm, facing his alma mater.
“The whole situation was pretty surreal being back there,” Worthen said. “Our guys, having gone into our second overtime now, did a great job of believing in each other. We scored two unbelievable goals tonight. We stuck in there and put ourselves in position to win. It’s great for the guys to get our first win, especially starting off conference play.”
• FAU took the initial lead in the 51st minute when Felix Halle Smith scored his first career goal off of an assist by Daniel Del Rio, snapping FAU’s two-match scoreless skid.
• The Gamecocks, receiving votes in the polls, struck back in the 77th minute when Justin Sukow netted his third goal of the season to even the match 1-1
• In the 98th minute, Ferdinand Solberg sent a cross to his left where Sanchis found it to send the ball rocketing just under the crossbar for the game-winner, his third goal of the season.
• South Carolina tallied 14 shots to FAU’s 11. The Owls were led by the two scorers with three each. Dylan Huber and Aaron Laranetto also put shots on goal.
• Luis Aranzazu made a pair of saves for FAU in goal, earning his first career victory in his first career start, playing all 97:43.
FAU will host Old Dominion on Friday, Sept. 15 at 7 p.m. at the FAU Soccer Stadium. For tickets, call 1-866-FAU-OWLS or visit FAUSports.com.