RALEIGH, N.C. -- Carlos Sanchis struck twice in Florida Atlantic University men’s soccer’s 2017 opener, but the Owls couldn’t hold on as NC State battled back to take the match 3-2 on Friday in Raleigh. All five goals were scored in a span of just 13 minutes in the first half in a wild start to the season.
• After a throw in, Sanchis found a ball from Dylan Huber and sent it to the back of the net along the ground from 15 yards out to give FAU the advantage in the 21st minute
• NC State’s Tanner Roberts headed in a cross from David Loera in the 26th minute to even the match
• Just 12 seconds later, Sanchis struck again, this time unassisted, off of a redirected shot
• 1:33 after Sanchis’ second goal of the night, NC State’s Stephen Elias capitalized on a penalty kick to again knot the score at 2-2
• The game winner came in the 33rd minute when Manny Perez gave the Wolfpack the win, putting in a rebound from Elias.
• Sanchis led the Owls with four shots on the evening while Huber, Oscar Salas, Danny Del Rio and Felix Halle Smith each took shots. Halle Smith’s came in the 90th minute as a header shot on goal, but was saved as the match ended
• Goalkeeper Daniel Ragoo suffered the loss, despite making seven saves on the evening
Up Next The Owls return home to host College of Charleston and NJIT Sept. 1 and 3, respectively. For tickets, call 1-866-FAU-OWLS or visit FAUSports.com.