April 22, 2013
BOCA RATON, Fla.- The Florida Atlantic University men's golf team will be conducting tryouts in August and September for all student-athletes interested in competing for a place on the team during the upcoming 2013-14 season.
First off, men’s golf head coach Angelo Sands would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all applicants on being accepted. If you wish to compete for a slot on the team, know that the NCAA requires that only registered full-time students may try out or walk on. Students must have a minimum of 12 credit hours to be considered full time.
The tryouts will take place at Ocean Breeze Golf Course in Boca Raton. The dates are August 30- September 1 and September 6- 8.
How is the team selected?
1. Players from this year’s squad based on scoring average and class are on the team.
2. There are a few spots given to incoming student-athletes, based on resumes.
3. Walk-on tryouts.
The cutoff date to express your intent to try out or to attempt to walk-on to the team is June 15.
You must have contacted Coach Sands by email by June 15 your intent to try out. This applies to all past, current and future golfers. If you have not done this you cannot try out in August 2012.
All the following information must be completed and sent to Coach Sands by June 15.
Contact Info – Incoming and Returning players trying out must:
- Send your intent to try out or walk-on, including your eight-digit FAU Z#, to Coach Sands by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Send updated hard copy resume to Coach Sands by email (email@example.com)
- Print out and complete the following contact information form for self and parents/guardians on the following PDF:
Compliance – For much of this information you will need the assistance of your high school guidance counselor. Do not wait to start this process.
Incoming players trying out must:
Visit this NCAA website – www.eligibilitycenter.org – and fill out the proper information. Student-athletes, with the assistance of their high school guidance counselors, need to submit the following documents to the NCAA:
- Up-to-date/highest ACT/SAT scores
- Final high school transcript with proof of graduation date on the transcript
- Completed form entitled: Request Final Amateurism Certification. This will result in a 10 digit NCAA Eligibility Center registration number which you will e-mail to Coach Sands (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Also, after you have the above, make sure to submit all test scores and make arrangements to have your final transcripts, including proof of graduation, sent to the NCAA Eligibility Center as soon as possible after graduation. The NCAA Eligibility Center strongly encourages high schools to send transcripts through one of the electronic transcript provider services. The NCAA Eligibility Center accepts electronic transcripts from the following providers:
- e-Scrip Safe
- National Transcript Center
Electronic transcripts from these providers are available for viewing within 24 hours.
Scheduling/OARS – The men’s golf team has an OARS program for course registration. To meet the team’s practice schedule, incoming players trying out must schedule your classes using the following guidelines:
- Schedule your classes M-T-W-T-F-S. Classes fill very fast so you need to do this ASAP
- All AM classes will need to be over by 1 p.m.
- All PM classes must not begin until 7 p.m.
- Email schedule, as soon as it is completed, to Coach Sands (email@example.com)
- Complete OARS & watch the registration video:
- For freshman or transfers with 0-29 credits only, visit the OARS site – www.fau.edu/freshmanadvising/all_about_oars.php – to complete your course advising for the fall. You will not be able to register for courses until this is complete.
- For transfer students with 30 or more credits please access http://www.fau.edu/orientation/components/TransferInfo.php
- Your courses should be reviewed and approved within 48 hours of submitting OARS. Please check your FAU email for the approved form. If you are in the area you can make an in-person appointment if you would like. Courses are filling up quickly, so please do this ASAP!
Hospitalization and Physicals – Incoming and returning players trying out must:
Everyone (incoming and returners) must supply the following hospitalization forms. The forms must be totally complete and signed by a physician (MD or DO). Forms signed by chiropractors will not be accepted. All THREE forms must be mailed and will not be accepted electronically. Print and sign the following three PDFs:
Transportation – Incoming and returning players trying out must:
Both incoming and returning players need these return TWO transportation forms. Print and sign the following PDFs:
Apparel/Personal Appearance – The following two PDFs must also be printed out and signed:
Please mail all hospitalization/physical, transportation, apparel and personal appearance forms to:
Coach Angelo Sands
Men's Golf Coach, FAU
7348 E. Country Club Blvd.
Boca Raton FL 33487
The deadline to send in all of this information is Monday, July 1. Below is an easy to follow checklist of all requirements. Good luck and have a great summer!
Incoming & Returners Check List Due to Coach Sands by July 1.
All forms have links in this article. What you need to understand is for the next 3 months you have total access to FAU personal. In late July early August over 300 athletics will report. Once that happens all of our resources are stretched. The 1st day of classes are Sat. August 24. Our tryouts begin the following Fri. For you to tryout all your forms MUST be completed by July 1.
E-Mail to Coach Sands: firstname.lastname@example.org
FAU Z number (8 digits):
NCAA Registration Number (10 digits):
FAU e-mail address:
Mail to our Home Address: 7348 E. Country Club Blvd., Boca Raton, Fl. 33487 Regular mail NOT special delivery. Include this check list when you mail these forms to our home
__ Appearance Form
__ Transportation Form- Parent/Guardian Permission Form for FAU Golf Team Members
__ Transportation Form- Alternative Travel Request & Release
__ Medical/Family History (4 pgs)
__ Supplemental Medical History (2 pgs)
__ Medical Insurance Form Plus Front & Back Copies Of your Parents Medical Insurance Card (2 pgs)
__ Assumption of Risk
__ Medical Consent
__ Authorization for Prescription
__ Protected Health Information
__ Baseline Symptoms
__ FAU Physical Form. At the bottom of this form you need to have the physician’s signature & the physician stamp that includes name & contact info.
__ Sickle Cell Waiver
Men's Golf Concludes First Round of C-USA...
FAU Competes with Four on Final Day of the ASU ...
Men's Golf Finishes Day One at the RedWolves...
Derron Peyton Claims Co-Golfer of the Week...
FAU Shines in Final Round of the Slomin...
FAU Concludes Day Two of the FAU Slomin...
FAU finishes the First Round Tied for Fourth in...