Aug 23, 2013
BOCA RATON, Fla -
Florida Atlantic University will open its 13th season of football on Friday, Aug. 30 at 8 p.m., when the Owls travel to Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens to face the University of Miami. The Owls 2013 radio broadcast team will be ESPN 106.3's Ken LaVicka with the play-by-play, while former FAU assistant coach Fred O'Connor and former Owl defensive back Kris Bartels will share the commentary duties. Brian Rowitz, also of ESPN 106.3, will handle the pregame duties.
"We are grateful and pleased to have a veteran radio team bringing the game to our fans," said John Semeraro, FAU's sr. associate athletic director for external relations. "Ken has become known as the voice of the Owls and there is no better person to carry that moniker. Fred's vast experience and ease at breaking the game down for the fan and Kris' knowledge of the Owls' family complete a team that truly understands and can explain the program."
FAU's move to Conference USA brings more exposure to the program, but the insight provided by the 2013 radio team will be second to none. The team will cover each of the 12 regular-season games and will be on hand should the Owls advance to the C-USA championship game and beyond.
Florida Atlantic University's Radio Team
Ken LaVicka @KLV1063
• Ken LaVicka has been the full-time football play-by-play voice of Florida Atlantic University since 2011. In addition to football, LaVicka has called all FAU men's basketball games since 2009, including the school's Sun Belt Championship in 2010-11. He began broadcasting FAU hoops games in 2007. In addition to being "The Voice of FAU," LaVicka hosted a weekly coach's show with former Owls head football coach Howard Schnellenberger from 2009-11, and anchored a TV version of the show. He currently hosts the "FAU Sportspage with Carl Pelini" and the "FAU Sportspage with Mike Jarvis" during the football and basketball seasons. LaVicka has periodically called FAU women's basketball and had the call as the Owls baseball team made its memorable run in the 2013 NCAA Chapel Hill Regional. A regular emcee at FAU events, he was on hand for the 2011 football stadium dedication and has covered the transition into C-USA with live broadcast from the press conference. In addition to his FAU duties, LaVicka works as a show host, update anchor, and football staff writer at ESPN West Palm and ESPNWestPalm.com.
• Fred O'Connor began his coaching career in 1962 with Oceanside High School but has also had stints at: Villanova, Maryland, Southern Mississippi, the Chicago Bears, San Francisco 49ers where he also served as the Interim Head Coach, Montreal Alouettes, Catholic University and most recently Florida Atlantic. O'Connor was an instrumental staff member on the inaugural staff and has been involved with FAU football ever since. He joined the FAU broadcast team in 2006 and provides analysis that is second to none.
Kris Bartels @KrisBartels
• Kris Bartels is the newest member to the team. Bartels joined the Owls football team in spring 2004. Work ethic and persistence was the key to Bartels becoming an integral member of the University's first football conference championship and bowl team in 2007. The Broward County native was the team's 2006 Defensive MVP and a second team all-conference selection. Since his graduation, Bartels has served as a teacher and high school football coach. This will be his first season on the broadcast team.
Brian Rowitz @BRowitz
• Brian Rowitz has been involved with FAU football since 2007, the season the Owls captured their first conference championship and bowl appearance. Rowitz began his radio career as the student play-by-play announcer for FAU's Owl Radio. Rowitz had the call for both the 2007 Sun Belt Title game and the New Orleans Bowl victory. Rowitz assumed the FAU Radio Network engineer duties in 2009 and has expanded his duties each year since. Currently, he oversees the broadcast and can be heard along with ESPN 106.3's Joe Colella on the pregame, halftime and postgame show for all Owls' home games. In addition to his role with FAU, Rowitz serves as production director for ESPN West Palm and can be heard daily on ESPN 106.3's afternoon drive show with Evan Cohen.
Joe Colella @JoeC1063
• Joe Colella has been a member of the ESPN 106.3 staff since 2011. A graduate of the University of Florida, Colella currently hosts High School Hysteria on ESPN 106.3, and serves as a weeknight/weekend sports talk host. Colella also has been one of the station's main update anchors the past two years. This is his first year with the FAU Radio Network.
Inside The Owls' Burrow, Featuring Charlie...
Inside the Owls' Burrow, featuring WRs Coach...
Game Week #7, Florida Atlantic at Marshall
Monday Morning with Head Coach Charlie Partridge
Ristic and Hendrickson Honored with FAU Player ...
Owls Fall to Charlotte on Final Play
FAU Athletics Update for Sunday, Oct. 9