Florida Atlantic University and ESPN West Palm (106.3 FM) will kick-off the 2014-15 athletic seasons with the year’s first Coaches Show on Monday, Aug. 25 from 6 to 7 p.m. The partnership will continue throughout the year with the most expansive FAU radio coverage in the tri-county area.
“ESPN 106.3, Ken LaVicka and Florida Atlantic University have become synonymous in our South Florida market,” said Pat Chun, FAU’s vice president and director of athletics. “We are proud to partner with the top sports radio station in our region. We look forward to another year of great moments and memories – all captured on ESPN 106.3.”
LaVicka, the voice of FAU football and men’s basketball, will serve as the host for the weekly Coaches Show. The first six shows will be live from The Burrow Bar & Grill, an on-campus restaurant in FAU’s Student Union, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton campus. FAU Head Football Coach Charlie Partridge, as well as members of the Owls’ football team, will join LaVicka each Monday night from 6 to 7 p.m. to recap the previous week and preview the upcoming week all on ESPN 106.3.
ESPN West Palm’s (106.3 FM) coverage on game day will begin on Saturday, Sept. 13, with an hour-long pregame show just outside of the FAU Stadium team store, and will be hosted by Joe Colella, producer of “Josh Cohen & The HomeTeam” (Monday through Friday, from noon to 2 p.m.) and co-host of “High School Hysteria” on ESPN 106.3. LaVicka will return to the broadcast booth for the fifth-straight year with the call of the game.
FAU alumnus and 2006 Defensive MVP Kris Bartels, along with former San Francisco 49ers head coach and former FAU assistant coach Fred O’Connor (home games only) will join LaVicka for the game day broadcast. Brian Rowitz, producer of the “Evan Cohen Show” (Monday through Friday, from 4 to 6 p.m.), will be back as the engineer on game days and as a co-host during the pregame, halftime and post-game shows alongside Colella. Special in-game segments will include interviews hosted by FAU junior defensive lineman Brandin Bryant.
Both the FAU Coaches Show and the football games can be heard digitally on the free ESPN Radio app by selecting ESPN West Palm Beach under the listen live section and on www.fausports.com.
Throughout the week, “ESPN West Palm Tonight” (Monday through Friday, from 6 to 7 p.m.) will highlight FAU sports through interviews with each of FAU’s head coaches. FAU football will open the 2014 season on Saturday, Aug. 30 at the University of Nebraska, with the game broadcast on the Big Ten Network. The Owls home season will kick-off on Saturday, Sept. 13 at 7 p.m. versus Tulsa at FAU Stadium, which will be televised by Fox College Sports.
For season tickets, which start as low as $50, call 1-866-FAU-Owls. All FAU games will be carried on ESPN West Palm 106.3, which has an APP for the Smart Phone platform, and on www.fausports.com.
Florida Atlantic Radio Team
Ken LaVicka @KLV1063
• Ken LaVicka has been a part of the Florida Atlantic University broadcast team since 2009 and the full-time football play-by-play voice of FAU since 2011. In addition to football, LaVicka has called all FAU men’s basketball games since 2009, including the University’s Sun Belt Championship game in 2010-11. He began broadcasting FAU hoops games in 2007. LaVicka once again will serve as host to the FAU Coaches Show featuring FAU Head Football Coach Charlie Partridge throughout football season, and FAU Head Men’s Basketball Coach Michael Curry when basketball season begins. LaVicka has periodically called FAU women’s basketball and was the announcer when the Owls baseball team made its memorable run in the 2013 NCAA Chapel Hill Regional. A regular emcee at FAU events, he was on hand for the 2011 football stadium dedication and has covered the transition into C-USA. In addition to his FAU duties, LaVicka works as a co-host on the “Evan Cohen Show” (Monday through Friday, from 4 to 6 p.m.) on ESPN 106.3 FM and is a contributor to ESPNWestPalm.com
• Fred O’Connor brings coaching experience to the FAU booth. In addition to serving as an instrumental inaugural FAU football staff member, O’Connor has made numerous stops across the nation. Those stops began in 1962 and include Southern Miss, Chicago Bears, San Francisco 49ers, Maryland and more. He joined the FAU broadcast team in 2006 and provides analysis that is second to none.
Kris Bartels @KrisBartels
• Kris Bartels joined the Owls football team in the spring of 2004. Work ethic and persistence was the key to Bartels becoming an integral member of the University’s first football conference championship and bowl team in 2007. The Broward County native was the team’s 2006 Defensive MVP and a second team all-conference selection. Since his graduation, Bartels has served as a teacher and high school football coach. This will be his second season on the broadcast team.
Brian Rowitz @BRowitz
• Brian Rowitz has been involved with FAU football since 2007, working with the University’s student radio station for the 2007 and 2008 season. Rowitz assumed the FAU Radio Network engineer duties in 2009 and has expanded his duties each year since. Currently, he oversees the broadcast and can be heard along with ESPN West Palm’s Joe Colella on the pregame, halftime and postgame shows. Rowitz is the producer for the “Evan Cohen Show” (Monday through Friday, from 4 to 6 p.m.) on ESPN 106.3 FM among other duties at the station.
Joe Colella @JoeC1063
• Joe Colella has been a member of the ESPN West Palm staff since 2011. A graduate of the University of Florida, Colella currently is a part of “Josh Cohen and The HomeTeam” weekdays from noon to 2 p.m. and host of “High School Hysteria” on Friday nights and Saturday mornings. Colella can be heard giving updates on the station throughout the day. This is his second year with the FAU Radio Network.
Football Got the Most Out of Its 15th Practice ...
REDBLUE Game Time Moved to 11 a.m.
Football Completes Final Practice Prior to...
10 Reasons Why YOU should attend the 2016...
2016 REDBLUE Spring Football Game, Saturday,...
Three Spring Practices Remain for FAU Football
Football Has a Non-Contact Thursday Practice/En...