BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University football team returned to the practice field following Saturday’s second scrimmage of the year. The Owls’ defense won nearly every battle until FAU began red zone work, where the offense was able to find the end zone. Akileis Leroy recorded a practice-ending interception.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin
“Going back to Saturday’s scrimmage, after watching it, there were obviously some good and some bad things in there, too many turnovers on offense. We had a 12-play drive and DeAndre (Johnson) throws an interception in the two-minute drill. We can’t make those decisions. Some really good things: I thought the defensive line played as well as they have played since we have been here. Daniel Parr had a really good day. We had five dropped when he was in there otherwise he was about 80 percent completion. So he had some reps with the ‘ones’ today. That is how we will build our program, through competition. It doesn’t matter where you are from, how many stars or where you are on the depth chart, you move up if you play well and down if you don’t.”
“After a day off yesterday, (we) came out today and pushed them through. (It was) a long physical practice. We have a long ways to go.”
- Junior corner Shelton Lewis began the offensive woes with a tipped-ball interception
- Zyon Gilbert added another interception
- Kerrith Whyte, Jr. and “Motor” Devin Singletary recorded two scores each
- Steven Frank hit LaDante Harris for 30-plus yards to get the ball downfield and then found Dominic Milanese for another completion
- Senior receiver Henry Bussey III beat two defenders on an end zone jump ball for a score and the day was ended on Akileis Leroy’s INT
Monday’s Photo Gallery
To Purchase Tickets
FAU will open its 2017 season at home when the Owls play host to Navy on Friday, Sept. 1 at 8 p.m. in FAU Stadium. For season tickets, call 1-866-FAU-Owls. All games will be carried by ESPN West Palm 106.3 and also can be heard on the ESPN App.
The Owls will be back on the field at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 15 on the Tom Oxley Practice Fields. Practice is closed to the general public.