BOCA RATON, Fla. -- The Florida Atlantic University football team saw many highlights during Saturday's intersquad scrimmage held on their home field at FAU Stadium.
All told, the offense found the end zone five times, while Owl defenders had three takeaways in the red zone. Those and other key plays can be found below.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin
"It was good to have a midday scrimmage like that, training in the heat. That's why we put this one and the next one at that time. It's good for our guys to learn. Most guys played between 40-45 plays today, a little more than half a game. It's good for guys to see that we have a long ways to go. Way too many turnovers. I thought our guys played hard at times, but they definitely need to master the situations."
- "Buddy" Gregory Howell, Jr. scored the day's first touchdown on a two-yard run at the 9:33 mark in the opening quarter
- Though the offense didn't score again in the first half, they did twice in the span of about two minutes early in the second. Daniel Parr connected with Kamrin Solomon on a crossing route for the second score of the afternoon, and Steven Frank hooked up with Denzel Houston for a 32-yard touchdown 2:06 later
- That was Houston's second long reception of the day, the other coming down the ride sidline from Parr
- Late the day, the offense was successful twice during two-minute drills. A long completion from Jason Driskel to Henry Bussey III came down the near sideline, though Bussey's momentum carried him out of bounds at the eight. The two then connected on a three-yard score.
- Later, Parr went over the middle again to a wide-open John Raine in what would turn out to be the final touchdown of the scrimmage
- Three times, when the Owl offense was on the precipice of a touchdown, the defense came away with red zone turnovers. The first came when Malike Vigille scooped up a fumble on the goal line and returned it 52 yards the other way
- Later, they got down to the four-yard line, but a pass into the end zone was picked off by junior cornerback Shelton Lewis
- Then, with time running out in an end-of-quarter simulation, freshman defensive back Khamal Ellison leapt high for an interception in the end zone as well
- Big hits on the day, drawing "oohs" and "aahs" from the crowd, came from Jake Stoshak and Andrew Soroh; Silver Saunders and Jeremiah Taleni each had sacks; and Tim Bonner and Raekwon Williams combined for a substantial tackle-for-loss
- Ryan Rickel consistently boomed long and high punts during punt coverage drills
- During a kick return, Jalen Kinder made multiple players from the opposing side miss
- Greg Joseph was a perfect 3-for-3 on extra points after the touchdowns scored during regular play
Saturday's Photo Gallery
To Purchase Tickets
FAU will open its 2017 season at home when the Owls play host to Navy on Friday, Sept. 1 at 8 p.m. in FAU Stadium. For season tickets, call 1-866-FAU-Owls. All games will be carried by ESPN West Palm 106.3 and also can be heard on the ESPN App.
The Owls hit the field next on Monday at 10 a.m. at the Tom Oxley Practice Fields. Practice is closed to the general public.