BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Owls' football team has two 2017 spring practices remaining to show the Florida Atlantic University coaching staff their abilities and where they might fit into the new systems before FAU breaks for the closing weeks of school and the summer.
FAU will hold its final spring practice on the Tom Oxley Fields at 9:30 a.m. Thursday and will then suit up for their final practice, the 2017 Spring Game, which will be held at 4 p.m. this Saturday at FAU Stadium on the Howard Schnellenberger Field. Gates will open at 3 p.m. while FanFest will begin outside the stadium at 2:30 p.m. All events are free and open to the public.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin Opening remarks
"Not one of our better practices. I think that we have probably talked about the Spring Game [and] should have done a better job talking about today, having a great practice today and going out and getting them going. But, they did do a better job later on. Coaches had to call them up and get into them because the guys weren't really in a great mindset about having a great practice."
- Sophomore "Motor" Devin Singletary opened the first team session which focused on the run game. During the same session, redshirt junior Jason Driskel found redshirt senior Kalib Woods on back-to-back plays and redshirt sophomore De'Andre Johnson moved the chains with a completion to sophomore John Raine
- Redshirt junior Jake Stoshak was one of three guys covering a downfield receiver, but he was the one to bat the ball away. One play later the defense earned the first of two consecutive stops
- Driskel then found senior Henry Bussey III for a long completion and score. Johnson moved the chains with a completion to redshirt junior Gerald Hearns before he was sacked by sophomore Leighton McCarthy. He then converted on third down, hitting senior Nate Terry and then, on first-and-10, redshirt sophomore James Brunson caught a Johnson pass and scampered untouched for 40 yards and the score
- With the ball spotted on the 20, it took the offense just two plays to score and on the next possession the Owls' defense held
- FAU's kicking unit hit a 37-yarder, the next attempt never got off the ground with multiple offsides, and the final attempt of 32 yards was wide left
- Defense produced the final minute highlights with Rashad Smith, a sophomore linebacker, earning a third down TFL, and batting down the next pass attempt. Junior defensive end Damian Horton did more than bat down a ball at the line, he hauled it in and dashed for the opposite end zone drawing defensive cheers
The 2017 Spring Game is scheduled for 4 p.m., Saturday, April 22 at FAU Stadium. The game and events are free and open to the public. For more event details as the time approaches, visit www.fausports.com. For 2017 season tickets call 1-866-FAU-Owls.