BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University Owls completed their final Saturday of the spring prior to the 2017 Spring Game, which is scheduled for 4 p.m. Saturday, April 22 in the FAU Stadium.
The Owls scrimmaged a week ago with the defense coming away with the praise from FAU Head Coach Lane Kiffin. That praise continued throughout the week with the defense forcing turnovers and stifling the Owls' offense. Saturday's practice was the reverse with the offense limiting the turnovers and pushing the ball downfield.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin
"Good day today from an offensive perspective, which was good. We had some issues with our offense. They did a good job. They went right down the field the first three series...good to see our guys respond that way and limit turnovers. Because those have been the two issues. It was good to see."
- The Owls worked a situation scrimmage and were afforded the opportunity for officials during the team portion
- Both the offense and defense staffs used headsets throughout the day to allow the new coaching staff to become accustomed to each other and to work on their communications
- The Owls divided up the plays among the one's, two's and three's for each situation
- FAU special teams also received more opportunities than on Saturday than they have in previous practices. Graduate student Greg Joseph connected on a 26-yarder and narrowly missed a 41-yarder that had snap and hold miscues
- Receiver work was highlighted by big receptions from redshirt freshman Dominic Milanese, redshirt sophomore Dante Cousart, senior Kamrin Solomon, redshirt junior Bobby Mitchell, senior Henry Bussey III and sophomore tight end John Raine
- The defense added to the day's highlights with a sack by sophomore Kevin McCrary and senior Haiden Nagel. Senior lineman Nick Internicola recorded a solo sack. Not long after that, redshirt junior Andrew Soroh hauled in an interception. Redshirt junior linebacker Kris Harris and junior defensive end Damian Horton each recorded pass defenses as did junior corner Herb Miller.
The 2017 Spring Game is scheduled for 4 p.m., Saturday, April 22 at FAU Stadium. The game and events are free and open to the public. For more event details as the time approaches, visit www.fausports.com. For 2017 season tickets call 1-866-FAU-Owls.