HADLEY PARK, Fla. - Florida Atlantic University’s football team traveled to Miami for its second Saturday spring scrimmage and the second consecutive week that the Owls have practiced off campus. The Owls will practice twice more this spring before the 2018 Spring Game, scheduled for this Saturday, April 21 at 4 p.m. The Spring Game will be played at FAU Stadium, currently undergoing renovations. Fans will be afforded the opportunity to select a seat for the 2018 season and to receive a 2017 Championship Commemorative Pennant.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin
Following Saturday’s Practice
“It is good to get into different communities and different areas, obviously for recruiting and players’ family get to see them that maybe it is hard for them to come up, but also it is good for our own guys because it is a change of scenery. It is different than our same practice field. Guys had phenomenal energy again. Did a great job. A lot of big plays by the defense. Too many sacks, quarterbacks holding onto the ball too long, but I thought all in all they had really good energy. We just have to get better execution on offense.”
- Quarterback De’Andre Johnson used his legs on the first two third down conversions
- Zion Gilbert proved difficult for the Owl quarterbacks with his second pass breakup in as many weeks
- Johnson found tight end Harrison Bryant on back-to-back plays of 15-plus yards
- Defensive lineman Ernest Bagner had multiple sacks
- Quarterback Chris Robison found LaDante Harris to move the chains and later Johnson connected to Harris as well
- Robison also found tight end Jacob Wilson for a score
- The most exciting play was a deep pass from Johnson to Jovon Durante, who was in double coverage, but came down with the ball
- Quarterback Conor Miller threw a high strike to Kyle Davis, who seemingly rebounded the pass and came down with it in-bounds for a 10-yard gain
- DeAndre McNeal and Jacob Wilson were credited with big receptions, both from Robison
- Ocie Rose had a tackle at the two to prevent a score and on the next play Steven Leggett stopped the run up the middle, also preventing the score
- Running back Silver Saunders had a nice catch and run beating his defender for the score
- In the closing minutes of the day, the challenge between offense and defense was apparent. Both sides chanting, taunting and dancing, during play leaving one side to celebrate after the play. The first attempt to get into the end zone, led by Miller, was met with a huge sack for a loss of yards. On his final two attempts, he found Harris and Logan Peterson in the back of the end zone
- Vladimir Rivas made two of the games three field goals, one for more than 40 yards
Hadley Park Practice Video Feature
Practice Schedule FAU will practice on Tuesday, April 17 and on Thursday April 19, both at 9:30 a.m. and both on the Tom Oxley Practice Fields. The “Spring Game” is scheduled for 4 p.m. on April 21 at FAU Stadium.
To Purchase Football Game Tickets
FAU will open its 2018 season at Oklahoma on Saturday, Sept. 1. FAU’s home schedule will open the following week when the Owls play host to Air Force. For season tickets, call 1-866-FAU-Owls. All games will be carried by ESPN West Palm 106.3 and also can be heard on the ESPN App.